Are Any Of You Afraid of Dying At Armageddon?

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
  • MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Everything that has ever lived on the planet has either died, or will soon die. Why do JW's think that they are more "special than Mother Teresa or Ghandi, Rosa Parks etc? I have no issue with this.

Retards.

• wobble
    wobble

I am with our dear Blondie, I never worried about it when I was a Witness.

I reasoned that it was a battle between Jesus and his enemies, I was never his enemy.

I still am not, even though I now believe in very little that is taught about him.

I had, and now have, nothing to fear from the Big A.

Ex-JW's particularly need to wake up to the fact that THIS life is the only one we can be sure of, so get on and live it, enjoy it to the full, the future will take care of itself, God and Jesus will have nothing to do with it.

Love

Wobble

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

And it aint Armageddon that's gonna kill you. We die just fine normally.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I used to be... now I'm more worried about the personal Armageddon I'm going to have if I can't find work soon. I'm picking out the bridge I'm going to live under now.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I used to be afraid. What with all the "adultery in your heart" style condemnation, just thinking wrong or sleeping late on a Saturday would be enough for Jehovah to decide to fry me for not being quite good enough.

Now I know it's all a sham. I'm not afraid of armageddon.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They pound into you that some will be saying "Where is this promised presence of his, why from the beginning things have been as they are now". So you hear yourself saying that this is how its always been and that damned scripture comes wafting back. I hate it. It's the perfect fail safe scripture. It simply covers all possibilities. Then I think of the spanish coming to South America. The native people believed that a white god would come and many would die. So here they come bringing smallpox and thousands die. Most of the people for that matter. Did a white God arrive and kill them? Nope. Its all about circumstance and happenstance and coincidence. No end, no fear, no time slips, no meetings, no thanks. W.Once

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

I was always afraid of that as a young child as I never thought that I was good enough even though I went to all the meetings. The fact that I did not enjoy them meant that God was angry enough with me to destroy me. I'm so glad I am past that now.

To be honest though, I was always more worried about those non-Witnesses that I cared about. As a fully brainwashed witness I used to lie awake at night begging God to kill me in exchange for sparing someone I loved--assuming, of course, that I was worthy of being spared anyway. The whole concept really messed me up and was one of the reasons I sought therapy.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

NOPE...living in the now.

• dgp
    dgp

Misfit mel, you wrote:

Actually the JW concept of Armaggeddon isn't really scary at all. Unlike other religions, there is no HELL.

So what happens when you die? Eternal torture? Nope. Nothing. The dead are conscious of nothing at all. Why would I fear that? Even if everyone else was heartily frolicking in paradise, I wouldn't miss it because... well... I am non-existent.

Yeah Armaggeddon might be scary but if it really got bad, I could always put a bullet to my brain and quickly and humanely end it all. I would have blissful nothingness to look forward to!!

At least other religions have some scary shit that could make unbelievers quake in their pants.....

Exactly.

Witnesses have a rough time leaving because their entire world is composed of other witnesses and they are shunned. But, for a Catholic, for example, the idea is that your family may not abandon you but you will face an eternity of pain and torture. Jehovah's witnesses say that this life is not that important; for a Catholic, it has a hell of importance: you have to work hard here if you don't want to end up in hell. John Paul II brought a lot of relief when he said hell didn't exist. I'm not sure if they "reinstated" hell again; I heard something in that sense.

Misfitmel's point is important to me because leaving my Catholic faith was spiritually very scary, to a degree leaving the WT wouldn't be. Of course, the immediate pain and suffering a JW endures if he leaves is way beyond the imagination of any Catholic. I'm not at all trying to minimize your pain or your fears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit