Memorial

by roadrunner4speed 34 Replies latest jw friends

• roadrunner4speed
    roadrunner4speed

For those unaware the memorial has NO scriptural basis. Of the 12 men at the last passover not one of them ever said or wrote Jesus said "do this in remembrance of me" Matthew said Jesus blessed the bread and wine and gave the bread and wine to his apostles. He said nothing of "do this in remembrance of me" John the last of his aposles to die thought so much of the evening he didn't write a single word dealing with those events. We have paul saying Jesus said those words and the writting of luke which everyone needs to read and find out what's missing in his account. Me I don't believe the writtings of luke, paul or mark are inspired. Ask yourself why would God inspire someone to write about what Jesus said or did, when they weren't eye witnesses.

Now where did the practice of the bread and wine come from. We can go to the Catholics to find out. They have a round bright wafer. During their high mass they have that wafer in a statue like object with the wafer inside of the top facing outward. There are star burst around the wafer. Does that bring anything to mind. Just look up at the sky and you'll see what I'm talking about. what we have is a religions practice that predates Jesus. They went from sun worship to sun worship.

I've ask both preists and elders to explain some missing words the luke's account. NONE have ever given me an answer. Luke's account had for disturbed me. I'll be long dead before anyone comes up with an answer.

Lastly John 1:1 that verse should not read was God nor should it read a god. What should be written there should read was devine.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, despite our half-differences, welcome.

half-differences: While I agree with you here- Me I don't believe the writtings of luke, paul or mark are inspired,

I don't believe any writers were inspired (not by God anyway). Welcome again. I hope you work it all out.

• roadrunner4speed
    roadrunner4speed

Well, despite our half-differences, welcome.

half-differences: While I agree with you here- Me I don't believe the writtings of luke, paul or mark are inspired,

I don't believe any writers were inspired (not by God anyway). Welcome again. I hope you work it all out.>>

Please explain... What do I have to work out? If you don't believe any writers were inspired.. What do you hang your beliefs on?

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome, roadrunner!

I think that you'll find a very mixed group here. Many are still technically JWs and are currently unable to leave for various reasons. Others have left and have found happiness and contentment in a variety of beliefs, from Christianity to Judaism to Pre-Christian Polytheism.

Many are also atheists or agnostics, and do not "hang their beliefs" on anything. Rather, they are generally open to examining science, history, mythology, and other fields of knowledge and making up their minds as to what makes sense in light of evidence.

Again, welcome!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I have never paid enough attention to this to notice before. I went back and looked at this for a moment. So it seems that no one who was actually with Jesus at the last meal, ever mentions that he said to keep doing this. Only those who only had oral tradition passed down to them? Is this right?

If so that really changes things. I wondered many time why there is no mention of anyone in the early congreations having anything that resembeled a memorial meal as we know it today. Is that becuse it didn't really exist, or was Paul just sayaing to remember every time you had you regular meal, meaning you should always be thinking about Jesus?

I really need some talking points.

Also, I have asked why it matters so much that they get their memorial in on the smae evening if day is sunup to sun down, why try to cram 4 congreations in to rented facilities just so it can be on the same night? There is no biblical command for when it needs to be done (if you want to accept Pauls story) at any certain time frame.

Comments please!

-MM

• roadrunner4speed
    roadrunner4speed

Welcome, roadrunner!

I think that you'll find a very mixed group here. Many are still technically JWs and are currently unable to leave for various reasons. Others have left and have found happiness and contentment in a variety of beliefs, from Christianity to Judaism to Pre-Christian Polytheism.

Many are also atheists or agnostics, and do not "hang their beliefs" on anything. Rather, they are generally open to examining science, history, mythology, and other fields of knowledge and making up their minds as to what makes sense in light of evidence.

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

• roadrunner4speed
    roadrunner4speed
    maninthemiddleRe: Memorial posted ~ 2 hours ago (3/4/2010)

Post 78 of 78
    Since 10/5/2009

I have never paid enough attention to this to notice before. I went back and looked at this for a moment. So it seems that no one who was actually with Jesus at the last meal, ever mentions that he said to keep doing this. Only those who only had oral tradition passed down to them? Is this right?

If so that really changes things. I wondered many time why there is no mention of anyone in the early congreations having anything that resembeled a memorial meal as we know it today. Is that becuse it didn't really exist, or was Paul just sayaing to remember every time you had you regular meal, meaning you should always be thinking about Jesus?

I really need some talking points.

Also, I have asked why it matters so much that they get their memorial in on the smae evening if day is sunup to sun down, why try to cram 4 congreations in to rented facilities just so it can be on the same night? There is no biblical command for when it needs to be done (if you want to accept Pauls story) at any certain time frame.

Comments please!

-MM

No oral tradition just out and out lies. We're told paul was inspired based on the writtings of luke and we're told luke is inspired based upon the writting of paul. That's just crazy. The RCC adopted the pagan religions practices. Those of us who have been JWs have been brained washed by those claiming to be of the 144,000. Kinda bold of someone to proclaim THEMSELVES of the 144,000. Me I'll wait till God proclaims who is of the 144,000.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

JW's are taught the 144,000 do not need a resurrection, yet Jesus said at John 6:54 "Who ever eats my flesh and drinks my blood, has eternal life and I will resurrect him in the last day. Verse 58 of chapter 6, Jesus said the ones who do this would live forever. The Watchtower Society teaches lies.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Alwayshere,

but do think that really means eating and drinking somehthing literal? Or could it just mean all things we do we would do for Him?

• leec
    leec

"They have a round bright wafer. During their high mass they have that wafer in a statue like object with the wafer inside of the top facing outward."

Okay ...... what are you talking about? More please about this "statue-like object". The only thing I can imagine you're referring to is the thing called the tabernacle, which is just a storage container usually with some decorative filigrees and curlicues on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit