Ice Dancing

by poopsiecakes 118 Replies latest social physical

• shamus100
    shamus100

I just heard, LL.

I'm pretty excited and happy at how well we're doing. We're one gold behind the states! Impressive to say the least for such a small population.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The Canadian couple who won were absolutely beautiful with their bodies and lined up to perfection. The music, put me to sleep.

The Americans who one the Silver, were major contenders, and in my opinion performed better, and had better music.

r.

• shamus100
    shamus100

They did perform better, restrangled on the second skate (which you saw last night). The first night, unfortunately they did not.

The Americans were incredible!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The skaters have quite the competition to do now to win. It used to be compulsories and free dance. Now they have to do compulsories, original dance and a free dance. Their totals in each dance are tallied to get a final score.

Spins must be done by both and must be synchronized. Lifts have a time limit and the man cannot lift her over his head (unlike pairs skating which is not dance). Points are gained by the degree of difficulty and the changes of blade edges used. People who spin only in one direction lose points. Spinning in both directions gains points. One couple - I forget who, lost points because they did a spin where they have to hold the blade of a skate behind them while spinning and the man didn't grab the skate.

So it isn't as easy as looking at one dance. The couple that won did not do as well in the compulsories but were 1st after the original dance and then blazed their way to the gold

The nice thing about the Canadian couple is that they skate holding or touching each other almost the whole time. That is hard to do considering the amount of time they spin, change from one position to another and not trip over each other. It was nice in the most recent interview I saw they said they wanted their performance to stand as it is, without the fancy clothes or tricks (although they had a couple that were pretty good)

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I'm pretty jazzed today (despite some computer issues). Wearing my new Canada sweatshirt has definitely served as a good luck charm to the Canadians!! Woo hoo!

Nice breakdown of the ice dancing requirements, Lady Lee. It's a damn tough sport and a LOT goes into crowning the winner, thankfully. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new scoring rules, so I'm relying big time on the commentators to educate me on how it works and what's required. I only watch figure skating during the Olympics, personally - hence my difficulties with the new scoring. Yes I said hence...

Once again, I got all choked up when we won another gold. I ask again, What's wrong with me?????

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh poopiecake,

Remember to drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated. I was sobbing all day and had to go get an IV.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I know, it's pathetic....oh well, I'll look back on this time as 'I was there when' and get all emotional for years to come.

Shamus, does wine count as water??

• shamus100
    shamus100

No! Alcohol dehydrates! And don't drink coffee either.

This is serious business. Oh, the Japanese woman just landed a triple axle... I'm starting to sob again. I'll be back once I gain control...

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Alcohol dehydrates??? WHAT?? Shit, I'm too late...I guess all that's left is to enjoy accordingly.

• shamus100
    shamus100

On your gravestone it shall read "The 2010 Olympics Killed Me".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit