Assembly/Convention Rules

by IMHO 36 Replies latest jw friends

• IMHO
    IMHO

Just been reading the resurrected topic "Remember when assemblies were fun".

Bought back some good memories particularly regarding the 'holiday camps'.

I was going to add this but decided it warranted it's own topic.

The 'good times' have been replaced by incessant RULES. Here is a selection from the last circuit assembly I attended. Please feel free to add to the list.

1. Stand-up (when told)
    2. Sit-down (when told)
    3. Drive at 10mph
    4. Pick up your litter
    5. Midday song is not end of session - sit until baptism is over
    6. Supervise your children by the pond
    7. Don't let your children run
    8. Don't eat or drink in the auditorium
    9. Don't use the back half of lunch room (except at lunch time)
    10. Only eat lunch in lunch room in your assigned time slot
    11. Don't put bags on tables
    12. Don't sit in back half of lunch room during session as we need to clean it before lunch

some maybe justified, endless rules nonetheless that don't allow for good old commonsense.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I went to an assembly hall in Florida and I was surprised that people put their lunch coolers on the tables in the morning then left them there like they were "marking their spot" for lunch. I asked if that was allowed. A sister said "They never said anything about it." Well, they did that very morning- "Please remove your lunch baskets and coolers and place them under your seat or they can be retrieved from the Lost and Found."

How about these:

In the bathroom, one paper towel per person. If it was a roll, they taped a paper up that said only roll out to here ________ .

I love the name tag rules and treating the members like children by spelling out how to behave at hotels and in restaurants and the like.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I never obeyed the one towel per person rule.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Follow the instructions of the sunburned, dehydrated, ready to pass out parking attendants even though they are sending you to the farthest corner of the parking lot when you have to drag your entire family a mile back to the arena...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I never obeyed the one towel per person rule.

Well, they are in financial trouble thanks to people like you. You probably went to the literature counter everytime you forgot a songbook, too.

Cult lawsuits are expensive, folks. If you must go to the large sales seminars known as assemblies and conventions, make sure you waste the paper towels and toilet paper. Ask for lots of literature and throw it away.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I have been out for over 30 years, so this hyper-rule-law structure for the circuit assembly is just about as unbelievable to me as the United Nations NGO, the new teaching of Generation, or the constant beat-down about obeying the FDS.

Unbelievable.

And yet strangly predictable, given the events from 1975 to 1980.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

OTWO:

Well, they are in financial trouble thanks to people like you. You probably went to the literature counter everytime you forgot a songbook, too.

My reply: Well that makes me feel better. My childhood, 20 years of my life were not a total waste!

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

IMHO - sounds like you're talking about Hayesbridge (Surrey Assembly Hall) . . .

• jdhf
    jdhf

Gee...we don't have many rules like that here in Ireland... but we're lax in most things...my 2 daughters laughed when at the kh last summer the bros put on the noticeboard photos of acceptable lengths for skirts etc for the meetings and bethel visits. I thought it was ridiculous, but then , all the sisters said it was too much. I haven't been back since but I'm going to the assembly tomorrow afternoon to listen with 'new' ears. Should be interesting. so long as the bros don't harass me to re-attend the hall!

• yknot
    yknot

.... no walking around auditorium during the program

.... no standing around auditorium when program is dismissed

(No Loitering, Be Quiet, Keep Moving)!!!!

------- and the kicker.----- 'no saving seats for those who didn't ride in the car with you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit