Finished Ex-Jehovah's Witness Survey (Please fill out for help with project)...

by Tuesday 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You have a PM.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Thanks so much guys and gals. Really interesting stuff. I don't want to spoil anything really about the results because I don't want to skew things but already one of the stereotypes that the Watchtower places on those who leave is falling by the wayside. Given I'm only about a tenth of the way there to my goal, but hey it's still rather cool to see hard data in front of me.

Man if I could be any more of a dork I'd be cast on the Big Bang Theory.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You should have started this thread in the Members Only section, but you did offer alternatives. Still, many are paranoid for valid reasons.
    Anyway, here goes:

Ex-Jehovah’s Witness Survey

A.) Name: (First name only please)
    Jerry

B.) Gender

Male

C.) Age:

41-45

1.) How were you introduced to Jehovah's Witnesses:

Parents/Grandparents/Relatives converted when you were young and taught you

I did convert in my 20's, but you asked about being "introduced." Mom left and went back. I never went back until I converted in my 20's.

2.) How did you leave the religion:

Faded Away (slowly missed more and more meetings until you stopped going completely)

3.) What Age did you leave?

41-45

4.) Were you Baptized

Yes

5.) What General reason did you leave the religion:

Didn’t believe the teachings, not allowed to question the teachings, disagreed with stance on social issues, didn’t agree with things said in the magazines or on the platform.

6.) How did you feel about the doctrine before leaving:

Believed there were more things wrong than right

7.) Did your feelings about the doctrine effect the way you left?

Yes

8.) If you were disfellowshipped for sin, did your feelings on the doctrine effect you sinning in the first place?

N/A

9.) Did you feel the religion was a cult before leaving?:

I felt the religion was definitely a cult

10.) Did you research the religion's teachings after leaving?

Yes

11.) What are your feelings on the doctrine of the religion since leaving?

They are totally wrong

12.) How do you feel about the organization since leaving?:

They are Totally wrong

13.) How do you feel about the people since leaving?:

They are misguided people and I feel sorry for them

14.) Do you feel the religion is a cult now after leaving?:

Yes they are definitely a cult

15.) What is your opinion on the intelligence of those still in the Organization? :

They're intelligent but purposely deny facts for their religion

16.) Are you happier now that you’re gone?

I think I’m much happier now that I’m gone

17.) Do you feel that other than the fact you left the Jehovah’s Witnesses that they would agree with how you live your life?

I do a few things they would not agree with

I hate that question. If you don't do what WTS says, they think you are living a horrible life. If you don't do what WTS says, you shouldn't care what they think. I answered appropriately according to the spirit of the question. I don't think clinking glasses and saying "Happy birthday" are really big things. I still don't smoke or get drunk or fornicate (married). But I don't have a problem with those that do those things.

18.) If a Jehovah’s Witness approaches you to discuss their religion you’re more than likely do the following:

Give them a simple Not Interested

19.) Would you consider returning?

When hell freezes over

20.) How do you feel about discussing your time as a Jehovah's Witness?:

I bring it up frequently

Questions:

General

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

A.) Jesus

B.)

Male

C.) Age:

35-40

Parents/Grandparents/Relatives were in before you were born and taught you

Disfellowshipped

35-40

4.) Were you Baptized

Yes

Left for a boyfriend/girlfriend in the world, Fornicated with man/woman, General Fornication

Believed everything said was correct

Yes

8.) If you were disfellowshipped for sin, did your feelings on the doctrine effect you sinning in the first place?

I sinned because I wanted to and doctrine had nothing to do with it

I did not think they were a cult at all

No

They are totally wrong

They are Totally wrong

15.) What is your opinion on the intelligence of those still in the Organization? :

They're not very intelligent

I think every day about how happy I am to have left

17.) Do you feel that other than the fact you left the Jehovah’s Witnesses that they would agree with how you live your life?

They would not agree with anything I do now

18.) If a Jehovah’s Witness approaches you to discuss their religion you’re more than likely do the following:

Tell them I was raised a Jehovah’s Witness and feel they’re wrong

When hell freezes over

I talk about it constantly

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

You should have started this thread in the Members Only section, but you did offer alternatives. Still, many are paranoid for valid reasons.

I thought of that but figured more faders and people too afraid to post here would see it in the Friends section. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and get some people to sign up here because you can clearly see who I am from my youtube channel. I'm not pretending to be something I'm not, I'm not in some secret collusion with the organization or anything. Plus the survey is only asking for your first name for a reason, I want the validity of the positivity that someone did in fact fill out the survey, but anonymously as well.

Hopefully no one is afraid, my interest is solely academic for tracking purposes so that some correlative work can be done with the data.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

B.) Gender Male

C.) Age: 35-40

Questions:

1.) How were you introduced to Jehovah's Witnesses: Parents/Grandparents/Relatives converted when you were young and taught you

2.) How did you leave the religion: Disfellowshipped

3.) What Age did you leave? 31-35

4.) Were you Baptized Yes

Didn’t believe the teachings, not allowed to question the teachings, disagreed with stance on social issues, didn’t agree with things said in the magazines or on the platform.

Believed everything said was correct (for most of my life. left after I realised it was false)

7.) Did your feelings about the doctrine effect the way you left? Yes

8.) If you were disfellowshipped for sin, did your feelings on the doctrine effect you sinning in the first place? N/A

9.) Did you feel the religion was a cult before leaving?: I felt the religion was definitely a cult

10.) Did you research the religion's teachings after leaving? Yes

11.) What are your feelings on the doctrine of the religion since leaving? The religion has a problem with nearly every teaching

12.) How do you feel about the organization since leaving?: They are Totally wrong (as are all religions)

13.) How do you feel about the people since leaving?: They are no different than any other religion, they have good and bad

14.) Do you feel the religion is a cult now after leaving?: Yes they are definitely a cult

NONE OF THE ANSWERS APPLY. AS ABOVE IS A BETTER RESPONSE

They are no different than any other religion, they have INTELLIGENT AND UNINTELLIGENT

16.) Are you happier now that you’re gone? I’m slightly happier now that I’m gone

17.) Do you feel that other than the fact you left the Jehovah’s Witnesses that they would agree with how you live your life? I do quite a few things they would not agree with

18.) If a Jehovah’s Witness approaches you to discuss their religion you’re more than likely do the following: Shatter their faith, what else would I do?

19.) Would you consider returning? When hell freezes over

20.) How do you feel about discussing your time as a Jehovah's Witness?: Some Say I’m obsessed

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

General

Ilovebirthdays

B.) Gender

Female

C.) Age:

35-40

Questions:

Parents/Grandparents/Relatives were in before you were born and taught you

Faded Away (slowly missed more and more meetings until you stopped going completely)

I left on my 25th birthday.

4.) Were you Baptized

Yes

Left for a boyfriend/girlfriend in the world,

Depressed, Didn’t feel like doing all the things required of you, felt oppressed by the rules.

A combination of both. Ultimately I ended up leaving for my boyfriend (now husband), but I was so depressed about being a JW, I was miserable all the time, and just wanted to die, and couldn't take being one anymore.

Believed everything said was correct

No

N/A

I did not think they were a cult at all

No

They are totally wrong

They are evil

I can't really make a blanket statement like that. I think some are intelligent, but deny, some are complete morons, and others are just trapped because of the disfellowshipping policy.

I think every day about how happy I am to have left

I do a few things they would not agree with

Tell them I was raised a Jehovah’s Witness and feel they’re wrong

When hell freezes over

If I ever see another Kingdom Hall it would be too soon

Both of these are good

It's part of me I'll discuss it if it comes up

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

You have a PM.

The Scotsman

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, goody! I can fill out the survey here without having to download it...

A. Name: Cindy (aka Ziddina) B. Gender: female C. Age: 56-60 Question 1: Parents/Grandparents/Relatives converted when you were young and taught you... [Dragged me into it against my will...] Question 2: Disassociated Question 3: 31 - 35 Question 4: Yes Question 5: Didn’t believe the teachings, not allowed to question the teachings, disagreed with stance on social issues, didn’t agree with things said in the magazines or on the platform. [Didn't really believe in the bible...] Question 6: Believed there were more things wrong than right Question 7: Yes Question 8: N/A, but... Not disfellowshipped, but the WTBTS' requirement that either spouse must commit adultery to "officially" break the marriage ties in "god's" eyes certainly affected my situation in the year before I left... Question 9: I saw many similarities between the religion and a cult Question 10: Yes - sort of; I got my hands on every book about cults that I could, soon after I left... Never bothered to see if they were 'biblically' accurate, since I'd stopped believing in the bible long ago... Question 11: They are totally wrong - and while we're on the subject, so is the bible - a collection of plagiarized "heathen" beliefs stolen from earlier religions, that the bible's authors LIED about stealing!! Question 12: Totally evil... Uhhh, can a cult have ANYTHING good about it??? But I feel that all Johnny-come-lately Middle Eastern male god religions are TOTALLY EVIL!! Question 13: They are filled with liars and hypocrites - but they're telling themselves the BIGGEST lies!!! Totally under mind-control, in other words... Question 14: All religions are cults so why would they be any different... Question 15: They're not very intelligent - but then, self-delusion never promoted intelligence, anyway... Question 16: I think every day about how happy I am to have left - and I'm thoroughly pissed that I EVER had to spend ANY time within that blasted, idiotic cult!!! Question 17: I do quite a few things they would not agree with - specifically, worship Goddesses for the psychological benefits; have decided that evolution is correct as opposed to the superstitious idiocy of a Bronze Age, Middle Eastern group of ignorant sheepherders... Question 18: Shatter their faith, what else would I do? - Well, ATTEMPT to shatter their faith; it's awfully hard getting thru that thick layer of idiotic denial that encases their brains... Question 19: When hell freezes over... Define "return"... I might slither back in to cause mischief, or research a "tell-all" book that totally exposes the rot within their ranks and their brains, but to seriously "return" to the religion??? Does a dog return to its vomit?? Why would I want to return to lapping up that filth??? Question 20: I bring it up frequently - try to warn off people who may not be aware of the idiocy and cultish mind-control behind their seemingly innocuous behavior - forewarned is forearmed, I say...

Zid

• Heaven
    Heaven

Isaac Austin .... I thought you were older!

bluegirl78/Joyce... Welcome to JWN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit