response from Ray Franz on generation change

by isaacaustin 56 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

"The Bible is the word of God", sayeth the Bible Thumper.

"How do you know that?", I ask.

"Because the Bible sayeth so", replies the Bible Thumper.

"And why do you believe the Bible?", I ask.

"Because it is the word of God", replies the Bible Thumper.

"Okay, glad that we cleared that up", rolling eyes and hitting self in head.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy
    Then you proceed to undermine him and his work????????

No Gromit did not undermine his work, he stated that given Franz's culpability in having misled millions of people with lies that what he is doing now is making recompense and we should not heap so much adulation on him because he is responsible for a lot of the misery that he now seeks to correct.

• trueblue
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Ray is a hero. That's all there is to it.

He did more for me than Jehovah ever did.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Whilst I would not seek to undermine Ray's work which has doubtless helped very many,

Then you proceed to undermine him and his work????????

HappyGuy read me completely correctly. I offered a balancing opinion. I am entitled to that am I not? Just as many on here, I had my life seriously interfered with by the WTS in which Ray was a leading member for very many years. If offering comment based on my experiences undermines Ray's work then it isn't worth much is it? I happen to think Ray has simply done the right thing after a long time (and done a good job of it in CoC) and good for him. I have no personal feeling one way or the other to him.

As to the kind of person Ray is I offer no comment because I do not know him and have never had any kind of communication with him. I am happy to accept that those who know him think he is terrific and a genuine person.

If your personal experience is different from mine and you worship the ground he walks on that's your business. I don't have the same opinion and I am, I think, entitled to express it without it being seen as an attempt to discredit the guy. It's about balance. This doesn't devalue your opinion of the guy as it's your personal opinion.

As far as his writing are concerned, I think they are important. Especially CoC. and add significantly to the volume of evidence against the WTS and JWs.

@leavingWT - that Ray is a hero to you is based on your experience and I think you're the best judge of that.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Ray was a leading member for very many years

IMHO, this statement is only accurate from a technical/legal standpoint.

After reading his book and after having served at Bethel, my opinion is different.

Bethel (WT) is a machine. Ray was powerless -- even as a GB member -- to stop the injustices that he saw. He had a single vote on a body dominated by more senior members, including his own Uncle. (If he had been "The President" prior to the 70's or had he been a dictator, we could lay plenty of blame on him personally, and for good reason.) It wasn't until he became a GB member that his own eyes began to open to the reality of WT being a joke and to WT being anything but spirit-directed.

I've never seen anything indicating that Ray wants worship and adulation. For many of us, he revealed lifechanging information to us. He made it quite clear that God doesn't run WT. So, it's only natural that many of us have very fond feelings for him.

GromitSK, I think we can respect your opinion. No problem, here.

-LWT

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Cheers LWT. I can't remember when Ray became a GB member - do you recall?

• jdhf
    jdhf

I assume Isaac is Ray....!! I am still reading his books, and feel like the blind Jesus healed. I feel thanks to him I can see the truth...thing is, I still don't have anything to replace it with...any ideas??

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I assume Isaac is Ray....!! I am still reading his books, and feel like the blind Jesus healed. I feel thanks to him I can see the truth...thing is, I still don't have anything to replace it with...any ideas??

How do you mean replace? I assume you are no longer a JW - if so what were you before?

• cofty
    cofty
    I still don't have anything to replace it with...any ideas??

My advice is replace it with nothing. Take your time, a lot of time, to investigate what you think about the big questions. Focus on more urgent matters like family and job and friendships etc. If in 10 years time your still not too sure what you think about it all you will be doing just fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit