Why Aren't You At Least FAding?

by shamus100 30 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

It doesn't take much, just stop going. You don't even have to do it all at once; maybe do one meeting a week for a month, then one meeting a month for two months, then just stop going.

What's going to happen?

Nothing.

Getting a shepherding call... Q: what's wrong brother twinkletoes?

A: I'm going through some personal problems, and can't talk about it right now. Thanks for your concern.

Q: Are you having any concerns about our teachings?

A: Again, I have no concerns, I am having some personal problems and need to deal with them. I will try to be at the meeting tomorrow (yeah, right!)

Q: You need to rely on Jehovah.

A: Yes. I will. Thanks for your concern.

Q: Can we read a scripture?

A: No, I'm very busy right now, and have an appointment. Thanks for your concern, and I'll see you at the meeting tomorrow.

Now how hard was that? Did they DF you?

Three months from now, stop handing in your time.

Q: We haven't had your time for a few months, just wondering what you had.

A: Zero.

Q: Are you sure?

Q: But brother, surely you had fifteen minutes we could count!

Followed by a shepherding call, which goes like example 1 above.

Now that wasn't hard! Sit at home and watch football, or teletubbies.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

You're a hot mess, Your Monkeyness!

I just stopped going - period.

Nothing yet.

Sylvia

• Think About It
    Think About It

This is actually a very good idea and approach. It's almost like staging a protest or strike against a major business corporation over unfair business/labor practices. With less members out in FS or at the KH, less donations come in. The WTS is making good JW's look like idiots with their cult like interpretation of doctrines, practices & policies. People need to send a message that they are tired of the "kookiness"!

Think About It

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Some folks are better off in the cult. It's very sad, but true.

Look before you leap.

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/from-the-desk-of-randy/why-some-people-are-better-off-in-cults.html

Me? I'd rather be dead than still in.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I'm referring to people that are still going to meetings and posting here more than anything.

What on earth are you afraid of? Mice? Elders? Mice are more dangerous, with the hanta virus and all..

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My folk are better off in. My mother is 65 and my father is 69. All of their friends are jws. If they left they would be alone. My father could deal would that cuz he's pretty much a loner but it would crush my mother. I'm just glad my siblings and I are out.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

shamus100 is correct. Even if you cannot do it as fast as his suggestion (which is not all that fast), everyone who wakes up to the facts should be doing something about it. One thing that can be done is a slow fade. Even elders on this board or elders' wives, pioneers, teens living with JW parents, all of you can do something. (I will admit it would be more difficult at the Circuit or District Overseer level to start doing something, at that level, you probably would have to quit the position before missing SOME meetings.)

Anyway, start missing some meetings. Try sleeping in on a weekend for a change instead of going in service or to the KH. If you cannot do that in your circumstances, then start walking outside at the Hall saying how "listening is giving you a headache" or a stomach ache. Isn't that true anyway? Reduce your recruiting hours. During recruiting, relax. Stop at the coffee shop or walk around without actually talking to people. Test the elders around you with less and less activity, both in meeting attendence and in recruiting.

And by all means, break yourself of the JW loaded language. Don't call it "the truth." Don't call it "preaching work." Try not to call people "brother" or "sister" but use their first names- more difficult for teens so perhaps you aren't ready for that. Stop commenting at meetings as quickly as you can, even if you are an elder. If you are an elder and are scared to resign or even reduce your involvement, start talking about how you feel depressed and are seeing a doctor. (Even seeing a picture of a doctor is "seeing a doctor.") Or get involved heavily in "secular" work because you need the money.

DO SOMETHING OR YOU RISK GOING BATTY.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

OnTheWayOut: Even elders on this board or elders' wives, pioneers, teens living with JW parents, all of you can do something.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Its no secret that there is a shortage of men in congregations, or maybe I should say "willing" men. As an Elder, I can't just start randomly missing meetings. The Hall I attend has a fair amount of Elders, however several are up in years, and certain "privileges" fall on the younger Elders, including myself. I'm on the stage several times a month. I have to take the group out every Saturday, and at least one Sunday a month. Not to mention the things I'm involved in that don't get seen by the congregation which are very time consuming. Not to sound as if I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm seen quite often at Assemblies. I don't wish to go into details at this time about how or why I'm seen in such a capacity. Make a long story short though, missing meetings just isnt an option right now. Right now, I'm dealing with whether or not to resign, and that in itself is a major headache. If I resign without a good reason such as sin (I'll have to make up something) or health (I'm relatively healthy), questions will be raised. I'm not prepared at this time to deal with that. As a Ministerial Servant , there would be nothing to it. Matter fact, if I was still a Servant, I might be able to deal with this religion long term. In that capacity, or even as a baptized publisher, there is a lot i could tolerate in this religion.

I will say this though for those not in positions warrenting a spotlight, depending on how pious the Elder body is in your congregation, you should be able to fade without too much fallout, with the exception of family and close friends. The average Elder is too busy with his own life, his own family, responsbilities, to worry about why you've been missing meetings all of a sudden. They may reach out to you a couple times, but after they do that, they will say to themselves, "I did my part", and they'll leave you alone. They may check back once a year, or every couple years. Again though, that depends on the body. One negative aspect we complain about in this organization is the hamster wheel way of life it entails. Too busy to scratch your butt somedays. However there is a positive to it, in that if you choose to fade, the average Elder is so caught up in the hamster wheel that he won't have time to "shephard" you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I'm referring to people that are still going to meetings and posting here more than anything.

Gotcha. I'm sorry, I sort of missed your point.

Yes, perhaps some of our members just need a little encouragement to reach out and take back their liberty!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

MLE, read my post again. DO SOMETHING. During the meeting that you feel you are not prepared to miss, walk out after you deliver your part. Stand outside without actually leaving. Do this on a regular basis and state that "listening is giving you a headache." It establishes that you are faithfully doing your part but also that you need a break from that stuff. Do it for 20 minutes or less at virtually every meeting. Let them talk about you. It will only work in your favor when, way down the road, you do manage to quit the elder position.

I also mentioned relaxing during recruiting sessions (what you still call field service). Turn in low reports and try to be casual when actually doing the work.

You need such breaks to keep yourself from going batty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit