The worldwide unity of Jehovah's Witness

by paul from cleveland 35 Replies latest jw friends

• sspo
    sspo

Have been in different countries and visiting KH, book studies and definetely

feels the same and speak the same " spiritual language" .

There is unity but do they really have a choice ?

Try telling your best friend at the KH that you do not agree with a teaching and see what happens!

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

I've heard from fellow JWs that in Hawaii, JW men don't wear suits and ties out in service because nobody in Hawaii does, not even businessmen or lawyers... so they wear Hawaiian shirts like everybody else, because men in suits are looked on with suspicion. Not sure how true that is, but there's one for you.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks to Crisis of Conscience (Ray Franz) check out differences between the countries Malawi and Mexico. Shocking.

Search for Bulgaria and concessions that Watchtower had to make with that country re blood policies.

Also, up until the 1940s -- if you were a JW in certain parts of Africa, having more than one wife was not a DF offense. Believe it or not, the Mormons did away with that practice in the 1890s.

Len Miller

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I haven't personally traveled to meet JW's who had beards, but I hear it's allowed in many cultures.
    I haven't personally gone there, but I met JW sisters whose clothing for service and meetings from Viet Nam was dress 'pants.'

I tend to agree with the posters who already said conformity was the main thing. While minor differences like those exist, it's just so the JW's can blend in better in their own cultures. There are some differences within cultures on enforcement of shunnings, but if called to the carpet, the elders who slack in enforcement would cave in to pressure from above.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I wonder if AllTimeJeff noticed any differences when he was in Cameroon.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Ok, I have one that might be what you're looking for. I used to work at a YMCA childrens summer camp and had for three years running before an elder decided that the "situation" was worth looking at more in depth. Long story short, the congregation wrote some letters and determined that it was not an acceptable place to be employed. I related this story to a number of Witnesses that I knew and that had spread out through the country and it was the opinion of many of them that it would not have been an issue in their local congregation. That was one thing that helped me in deciding to exit. It showed a strong lack of unity as the action that would be taken, if any, seemed to vary based on little more than the feelings of the brothers who happened to be on the body of elders at the time that such issues were to arise. Of course there are other issues as well, such as whether one is allowed (and the word "allowed" was used when I had this discussion with an elder some time ago) to wear a beard or not. They say that it depends on the climate and the general feeling of the populace toward the matter in various areas of the earth.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

When I lived in the Amazon to be "dressed up" meant that you were wearing a shirt (yes, this was true for women also) and that you had on shorts or pants that were bought in a store. Shoes were almost unheard of. I NEVER saw anyone in a suit and tie. The JWs tried to enforce bans on having bones stuck through your nose or lips and other decorations (that alll the tribal people liked) like that but those elders were never seen nor heard from again.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Ok, I have one that might be what you're looking for. I used to work at a YMCA childrens summer camp and had for three years running before an elder decided that the "situation" was worth looking at more in depth. Long story short, the congregation wrote some letters and determined that it was not an acceptable place to be employed. I related this story to a number of Witnesses that I knew and that had spread out through the country and it was the opinion of many of them that it would not have been an issue in their local congregation. That was one thing that helped me in deciding to exit. It showed a strong lack of unity as the action that would be taken, if any, seemed to vary based on little more than the feelings of the brothers who happened to be on the body of elders at the time that such issues were to arise. Of course there are other issues as well, such as whether one is allowed (and the word "allowed" was used when I had this discussion with an elder some time ago) to wear a beard or not. They say that it depends on the climate and the general feeling of the populace toward the matter in various areas of the earth.

Exactly. Piddly crap like this played a big factor in me walking away. You couldn't have a bible trained conscience and try to live a somewhat normal life. You had to abide by the conscience of vocal extremists who couldn't just STFU and mind their own business!

Think About It

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

While much is dictated by Mother bOrg causing an enforced "unity", in the real world many things are left to local interpretation.

From what I've personally seen, local culture plays a role in what is acceptable dress and grooming, as several mentioned. I've also seen where "fornication", "lying", and "stealing" get interpreted differently in another culture. I'll go with some cases where there should be "unity" but others just don't understand it the same. For example, to take something that doesn't belong to you is "stealing", right? Yet, in parts of Africa it was an ongoing problem that bethlites would take food and supplies from inventory, sometimes even money, for themselves or their families but didn't think it was "stealing" because they weren't attacking someone to get it. Also, others didn't seem to understand that prostitution is fornication. They figure that if she was willing and he paid, it was just business.

Even within a congregation, the rules can change when the CO changes. This CO thinks obesity is a sin and some lose "privileges". The next CO thinks that it isn't a sin, but a personal matter. However, he thinks that any dubs that work in the courthouse should quit. The next CO thinks that brothers should only have their hair or moustaches a certain way. Etc. So, the "unity" is there, but it's also not there.

If you want unity, try Coca-Cola or Pepsi in different parts of the world. Prices and packaging vary, but these brands understand the importance of unity and cultural adaptation.

• agent zero
    agent zero

policy-wise i think there's very little varience, but there are some regional variations in attitude. i found that in central american spanish cultures there seems to be more of an emotional involvement and expressions like "how are you? ..i'm good, thanks to jehovah" or "will i see you later? ..yeah i'll see you later, if god permits" are used left right and center, as contrasted with the more rule-based north americans that avoid everythng in case it might "stumble" someone in the cong

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit