JW Tall Tales

by lancelink 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The train story isn't so much a tall tale as an illustration (the pioneer car stories and demonized children stories are tall tales). Now I'm all for illustrations, love a good one.

But that one is just BAD and convoluted because the switchman didn't have the power to resurrect his dead son three days later. Not that I believe in the resurrection myself, but if you're gonna be illustrating the Christ story then surely that one small detail shouldn't be left out?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Sorry for the double post.

Mythbuster:

"I was told something by a JW last week. JW showed someone in their bible Psalms 83:18, that it used the word Jehovah, the one being shown ripped the page out of the bible."

Mythbuster, I was told something similar by an elder about 35 years ago. It wasn't about that particular Scripture but it was about a Scripture thaat a person didn't like. He was presumably told by the JW it's here. The person supposedly ripped that page out of the Bible and said "not anymore".

villabolo

• leec
    leec

The one even I know ... the best story of them all ... Paradise. I have that picture of the smiling people surrounded by God's bounty burned into my head. Pet lions ... sigggghhhhh ... almost as good as a high quality shot of heroin to a junkie.

• dissed
    dissed

Regarding Bible page being ripped out......

That story may have inspired someone I knew to do that.

This was an older one in our cong. who was a little emotional and dogmatic at times.

After a householder refused to accept a verse from the NWT, the older JW said, "then let's just rip that page out if you don't accept it" He did it!

Back at the KH everyone was buzzing about his drama and someone said they didn't believe it. He opened his Bible to show us the torn page pieced back in.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I heard a story at a CA about a pioneer couple who needed a specific amount of money to help them get their car fixed, it was something really precise, like 457 pounds, or whatever. They didnt know what to do, so they prayed really hard about it and through a set of bizarre happenings they were given a cheque for, wait for it....457 pounds! Amazing!

I hated those "miracle check" stories. They were such fantastic BS accounts.

• highdose
    highdose

theres the story of: Dub lost job, came home to find cupboards full of food...( does anyone actualy know anyone that this happened to? My family lived on the bread line and all the cong knew it, but never once did this happen)

If 2 brothers and 2 Sisters go out on a double date they will in 10 mins have either paired off for sex, or will have an orgy of 4.

However if you leave you under age daughter in the care of a pervy elder... nothing will happen at all!!!!!(!)

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Thanks Villa.

• jdhf
    jdhf

Hey there highdose...yeah..I met a sister from Dublin a few years ago and she told me that when she broke up with her husband she had no money and went to the meeting as usual and on her return there was a large box of food miraculously left outside her door! She did seem dead honest though.. so I can't judge that one!

I had a lovely necklace a few years ago with a little cross that I had bought in Yugoslavia and had it for years. When i started studying I was told that I had to destroy it. I did and I regret it now. Also i had a mask that was brought back from Guatemala for us and I had to burn that too... and maori items from NZ from when I was born... it makes me sad to think of it all.

I heard that angel story too.. only there was only one and the man at the door got baptized. Also in a year book was the story of a sister about to be raped in an african country and all the men went blind....

In hindsight I had a big ol' sign saying 'naive' on my head. I fell for them all! I feel like an 'eejit' now...hooray for the 'real' truth!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The original poster's train illustration isn't even original to the JWs (neither are most of what they say or do).

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/drawbridge.asp

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, what about throwing the switch and then telling his son to get the hell off the tracks because a train is headed that way? How hard would it be for the son to bail out into the bush about 20 feet away from the tracks until the train passes? Then, there would be no one killed.

Seems religion just loves to create problems where none existed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit