For non theists: Stages of evolution, can we develop wings?

by cyberjesus 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8
    (i personally would like to surgically modify womans vaginas and make them deeper and wider, maybe then evolution will take of the rest)

That may be one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this forum.

• cofty
    cofty

This website has a very good introduction Evolution 101

http://www.evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/index.shtml

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

I can't believe people actually buy this evolution crap. The fact that some animals have wings among other things is proof in itself that the evolution theory is a fraud. Why would any animal need to fly in order to survive. Most animals are hunted by other animals and all animals search for food so why don't they all have wings? Why didn't humans develop fur during the ice age to stay warm? Evolving to adapt to an environment is the the most ridiculous idea ever proposed and there are countless examples in nature of unnecessary "evolving" of animals and the lack of "evolving" from animals which results in them going extinct of becoming in dangered.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

There would be no need for wings since the supposed trees need land for which to grow on, a nonsensical question.

You've set out a hypothetical suggestion of nonsense.

Some people will try just anything to fracture evolutionary science.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Can we grow Wings?

Of Course!

But..

You get a Beak to go with the Wings..

Could you get used to having a Pecker on your Head?..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• villabolo
    villabolo

TD: The cube law limits the size of animals that can fly. . . Powered flight is impossible for a human sized mammal.

That doesn't mean that humans cannot be made to fly or theoretically evolve wings. First humans would have to shrink in size substantially, then develop wings.

A reverse situation is what most likely happened with the Ostrich. If it were to grow its wings to normal size it would still not be able to fly for it would be too fat. So how did it fly in the first place when it obviously has (vestigial) wings?

Many wingless birds, mostly extinct have that feature. That implies that the birds were originally small sized before they lost their wings then became larger. In effect two stages in evolution which is probably common.

villabolo

• cofty
    cofty

Blue Grass perhaps you should try to understand something before you dismiss it.

Your post is a caricature of somebody who does not understand the first thing about the subject. My guess is you prefer it that way?

• TD
    TD

Villabolo

So how did it fly in the first place when it obviously has (vestigial) wings?

I agree. It does imply that they were once smaller in size.

In the same vein, there is pretty good evidence that much larger animals have flown in the past than those that are capable of flight today. Pterodactyl fossils range from the size of a crow clear up to Quetzalcoatlus which is estimated to have weighed ~500 lbs. in life.

One possible explanation is that modern reptiles have muscles that are much stronger by weight than those of mammals or birds. If these creatures had possessed that type of musculature combined with the four-chambered hearts of modern mammals and birds, they would have been impressive indeed.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

TD: Fantastic answer thanks.

NATHAN: If I knew the answer to my question then I wouldnt be asking it, wouldnt I? I actually am able from my question to learn something.... that you do not understand the question.

The true one: what does land and threes have to do with this?

Rebel: Why bizarre? vaginas and penises developed for each other in size and shape.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

If we were jumping out of trees - would we develop wings?

No. As stated above, this aint gonna happen with humans. Evolution can only do so much, not anything you can imagine.

Now, if we were all jumping out of trees, and this was somehow important for our survival, and a percentage of people were dying in this activity, or not reproducing because the opposite sex was disappointed with their tree-jumping skills, then there would be selective change happening. It might be leading to things like: stronger leg muscles, thicker leg bones, stronger or more flexible backs, lighter overall weight, or changes to the internal organs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit