For non theists: Stages of evolution, can we develop wings?

by cyberjesus 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

If the evolution of life is defined by adapting to a need and life develops as it is needed. What if decide to live in trees and jumping from them everytime. Does it mean that we could eventually develop wings? Can we actually create planned evolution since we can now understand it and therefore influence it?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    If the evolution of life is defined by adapting to a need and life develops as it is needed. What if decide to live in trees and jumping from them everytime. Does it mean that we could eventually develop wings?

Well, there are other crawling creatures who live in trees and their evolution demands better crawling equipment. I guess we will have to wait and see if A) We live in trees and B) What will be the best way to get up there.

Lets not underestimate Apple inventing the iSuit, which should have a built in iPhone, iPad, and the iRocket pack for easy access to our new tree home.

Can we actually create planned evolution since we can now understand it and therefore influence it?

Are you talking about natural evolution or gene manipulation? I guess anything is possible in a couple hundred years.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I guess the more we understand about it the more we will beable to do. But praticallity would have to be figured into it.

Body size, would have to be reduced.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

If we look to the past, we may see indications of the future.

Some evolutionary changes in animals have occurred due to changes in diet, i.e. lack of certain minerals, or proteins. I would surmise these changes would occur during fetal development.

It remains to be seen what atrocities may develop from eating Frankenfoods, nuked substances, and chemicals not compatible with the human body (as in trans-plastic isomers in hydrogenated foods).

Viruses can also cause DNA changes which lead to mutations.

It has long been believed that dinosaurs and birds are closely related. There is speculation that feathers developed from scales.

Perhaps the reptilians among us will have the capacity to develop feathers, but as to whether those feathers will be in the form of wings, or if they would even be able to fly remains dubious.

• cofty
    cofty

Although biologists often use the kind of language you mention its just a shorthand way of speaking. In reality very small genetic changes happen randomly. If a mutation increases the survival and reproductive success of its host then it will become established in the gene pool.

Nothing ever tried to evolve anything. Nothing in fact adapts to fill a need, life is opportunistic, changes are random, natural selection of beneficial changes is not random.

The structures that led to wings may have been been simple webs of skin that helped with thermo-regulation or gliding. I cant imagine any evolutionary advantage that would select for something similar in humans.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

ATJ: I mean, evolution has happened naturally without conscious thought. We didnt need to know or understand it and we got now where we are. But now we understand that it happens due to adaptation. So in a way we could put ourselves in an environment where we can control evolution to whatever we want to. (i personally would like to surgically modify womans vaginas and make them deeper and wider, maybe then evolution will take of the rest)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    ATJ: I mean, evolution has happened naturally without conscious thought. We didnt need to know or understand it and we got now where we are. But now we understand that it happens due to adaptation. So in a way we could put ourselves in an environment where we can control evolution to whatever we want to.

Thats an interesting theory. I am positive that there isn't enough data to do more then speculate wildly on that question

(i personally would like to surgically modify womans vaginas and make them deeper and wider, maybe then evolution will take of the rest)

LOL! Wouldn't you rather take an herbal remedy from a whistling libido provider?

• TD
    TD
    Does it mean that we could eventually develop wings?

No.

The cube law limits the size of animals that can fly.

If I were to wave a magic wand at you and miraculously double your dimensions, making you twice as tall as you are now, your weight would not simply double because mass increases in three dimensions.

For example, if you currently weigh 160 lbs and your dimensions were to double, you would not weight 320 lbs., you would weigh 1280 lbs. (160 * (2*2*2)) Mass increases by the cube of the multiplier.

In contrast, flight surfaces like wings only increase by the square of the multiplier

This phenomenon limits the size of animals that can really fly at about the weight of a goose. Larger birds like the Condor soar (glide) more than they really fly.

Powered flight is impossible for a human sized mammal.

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop out, but there are so many other differences between us and animals that can fly, that it's probably better to start with the obvious first.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If i were to ask you how many angels can dance on the head of a pin it would reflect the same kind of basic ignorance of metaphysics and theology that your question reveals about your understanding of how natural selection works.

Climb a tree and jump out of it. If you survive, repeat. The laws of gravity combined with the law of natural selection will eliminate the foolish meme.

Ask questions you are capable of learning from.

• cofty
    cofty

Nathan my impression of Cyberjesus' questions are that they are sincere. I remember not too long ago I puzzled some of the same things. I would suggest getting a good introductions to evolution that will clear up some of your misapprehensions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit