Charles Taze Russell: His Life and Times: The Man, the Millennium and the Message

by RR 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Farkel is writing it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I used to think Russell was just a misguided soul until I read his instructions to colporteurs to lie to people so they could sell more books. That was the clincher for me.

• minimus
    minimus

Not really lying, it's "theocratic strategy".

• Terry
    Terry

I used to think Russell was just a misguided soul until I read his instructions to colporteurs to lie to people so they could sell more books. That was the clincher for me.

Where could we read these delicious instructions? Sounds interesting!

I've always thought that preachers and politician's start out naively as true believers until they suddenly reach a crossroads.

They have an epiphany that what they've always believed to be true is, infact, NOT true. If they cross the line and continue

anyway......they die the death of intellectual dishonesty. The hollow pretense replaces the person.

Pastor Russell began changing his previous words, phrases, predictions and proofs at a certain juncture. He became a liar, a fraud and a charlatan. His legacy was a springboard for Rutherford who was a dangerous man who understood "branding".

Terry

• minimus
    minimus

RR hates this type of talk but the facts are there. I'm sure the BS are quite nice . BS= Bible Students. But Russell was no prize!

• reslight2
    reslight2

Lady Lee said:

Lady Lee, I would like to know where you read these instructions in which he is supposed to have told colporteurs to lie to people. What was the "lie" they were supposed to tell the people? Where may I read these alleged instructions of Russell to coloporteurs to lie to people?

• minimus
    minimus

I remember what LL is saying.

CTR also said his books were more enlightening than the Bible and they were needed to understand God's Word.

• blondie
  • RR
    RR

lepermessiah

Do you think the book would appeal to current JW's as well? The reason I ask is that I would love to read it in front of my family under the guise of wanting to learn more about Russell from an unbiased (or at least outside) source.

I think it will. Apparently he interviewed Jehovah's Witnesses and Bible Students for the project. Some who post here helped in the project of supplying documents. They wished to remain anonymous according to th author.

Donuthole:

How does this compare with Charles Redeker's "Pastor C.T. Russell: Messenger of Millenial Hope"

Much better. With all due respect to Charles Redeker, my brother-in-Christ, his biography was too biased and politically correct.

minimus:

Why do you think it's so good?

Because it is unbiased, and very well written. It is neither pro or con, just the facts as presented, it is well documented. From the journey of Russell's family from Europe to his death.

RR

• Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

:It is neither pro or con, just the facts as presented,

Does it tell the truth about how Russell treated Maria? Does it tell what the Judge said about the character of Russell in that divorce case? Does it say that Russell transferred all his assets into another Corporation in order to plead poverty so he wouldn't have to pay Maria alimony? Does it say he didn't pay a dime of order support for her until the Judge forced him to do it and then he didn't do it with his own money, but with the money of his followers? Does it say he tried to get Maria out of their house and put her on the street?

Does it say that Russell closed his German Branch because it wasn't making a profit?

Stuff like that.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit