Charles Taze Russell: His Life and Times: The Man, the Millennium and the Message

by RR 44 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Charles Taze Russell: His Life and Times: The Man, the Millennium and the Message by Fredrick Zydek is the latest biography on Pastor Russell, and I must say I am very impressed. I have read other historiees on the Pastor Russell by Zydek (all unpublished manuscripts) but this one is far better than the last one authored by Charles Redeker aq few years ago. Zydek is a Catholic.

The author is neither a Bible Student or a Jehovah's Witness. although he grew interested in the Pastor when his aunt converted to the Witnesses and gave him a set of the Millennial Dawn volumes and for the past 30 years Professor Zydek has been researching the Pastor and does an excellent job. I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Taze-Russell-Millennium-Message/dp/1449951570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264015301&sr=1-1#noop

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Thanks RR, I have looking for a good book on Russell from an outside source!

Do you think the book would appeal to current JW's as well? The reason I ask is that I would love to read it in front of my family under the guise of wanting to learn more about Russell from an unbiased (or at least outside) source.

• donuthole
    donuthole

How does this compare with Charles Redeker's "Pastor C.T. Russell: Messenger of Millenial Hope"

• minimus
    minimus

Why do you think it's so good?

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

Looks like a book well worth reading. Jehovah's Witnesses continue to have an abiding interest in C. T. Russell.

http://pastorrussell.blogspot.com/

• I quit!
    I quit!

Witnesses have a very odd relationship with Russell. He founded their religion. They believe Christ came back and selected his group yet they are discouraged from reading his works or learning about him.

• minimus
    minimus

I just never can understand why Bible Students still believe a lot if not all of CTR's nonsense.

• JWoods
    JWoods

From time to time, we have posters here who somehow think that while Rutherford was evil (and the root of much of what is wrong with the JWs), CTR was kind of an "honest bible student" and not really all that bad.

For me, CTR was every bit as much a delusional charletan as Rutherford - and after all, he was the beginning of the eschatology which is at the very root of this organization.

He was also a selfishly dishonest person who took credit for the theological thoughts of others.

• minimus
    minimus

He was a crackpot like many others of that time period.

• VM44
    VM44

When is Judge Rutherford's biography coming out?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit