how much longer do you give it?

by agent zero 34 Replies latest jw friends

• agent zero
    agent zero

how much longer do you think it will be til the borg implodes?

with april's rediculous generation renewal, the hyped 2012, then the 100th aniversary of 1914 two years later, the continued increase and spread of internet use, the age of the GB, and the lackluster of the rank n file, i give it 8-10 years before the whole show collapses.

• PEC
    PEC

Wishful thinking.

Philip

• Robdar
    Robdar

What Pec said.

• dissed
    dissed

After the 1925 blown prediction, it pretty much collapsed, but people forget, and they rebuilt, and now according to the JW's, 1925 now never really happened.

Down turns yes. And with the Web now, those down turns can be really low for them. As much as I would love to see it happen, I feel many W's have too much pride to admit they were wrong.

Many years ago,(1972) I can remember talking to my non-JW grandfather about my JW stuff. He vaguely remembered the 1925 prediction from his day, and asked me how they explained it away. I had no idea what he was talking about.

• sspo
    sspo

Don't hold your breath, the watchtower will stick around for a while.

No matter how many scandals and doctrine flip-flop the Jw's will always worship the Gb

and give credit to Jehovah for given them 'New Light" !

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i was explaining to a mate yesterday about shunning, Russell and Rutherfords behavior and he said he cant see a religion like that lasting another 50 years.

But i tend to feel that whatever happens, they will remain. Even the split offs from russells day are still going. In the leadership takeover of russell i read somewhere about 3/4 left? And look at today! Even if they lost 50% in 2014 i cant see them disapearing for a long time ... unfortunatley.

Oz

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Surely you jest.

Judge Dread

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

With the current ideas flowing out of Bethel and the money flow so bad, I see them figuring ways to survive another 40 to 60 years. But so much can happen and so many changes can take place. That internet is so pesky to them. A major lawsuit and bad press could cripple them. So many kids are leaving upon adulthood. They could reach a tipping point where the faithful members are not enough to sustain the corporation.

• agent zero
    agent zero
    They could reach a tipping point where the faithful members are not enough to sustain the corporation

yeah thats kind of what i meant. either that, or that they see that happening and call it all off just before that. i suppose i am a wishful thinker!

• villabolo
    villabolo

agent zero:

how much longer do you think it will be til the borg implodes? Predictions of the Jehovah's Witnesses are bound to fail for the simple reason that when an organization reaches several tens of thousands it virtually assures itself immortality. As I've brought out recently, on another thread, the Rutherfordian power struggle that lasted decades, and saw the creation of several sects, diminished their membership down to as little as 25%. Yet they survive.

Furthermore the reasons you have stated are not sufficient individually or collectively to bring down an organization immune to reason.

with april's rediculous generation renewal, It could get even more ridiculous and yet it will be passively accepted. You have to realize that most JWs were not even in the organization when the teaching that most of us are familiar with was taught. And if they have a problem with that then they become part of the huge turnover of disaffected JWs.

the hyped 2012, Are the Jws hyping 2012 or somebody else? If they are not hyping it then what's the point?

then the 100th aniversary of 1914 two years later,Which goes back to the "generation" issue. 1914 has been devitalized, it is no longer a pointer by means of the "generation" of the end so the JWs simply shift to the 'signs of the times to get what little adrenaline they have.

the continued increase and spread of internet use, This may slow down its growth by some and keep them from refreshing their numbers in the USA, other English speaking nations and Europe but you are assuming that most people investigate the religion that they choose. They no more do that then they investigate anything else in life.

the age of the GB,They'll find a way to get fresh blood before they collapse. A better issue is the age of the elders.

and the lackluster of the rank n file, i give it 8-10 years before the whole show collapses. They are demoralized but this is where we have to take into account the context of JWs in the world. This world is going to pieces, though not for reasons that the Gibbering Body of imbeciles, The Faithless and Indiscreet Master predicted. Apocalyptic religions like the JWs are nurtured and grow under periods of distress. All they have to do is emphasize Matthew 24 and adjust current world events with their bastardized reinterpretation and that's it.

villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit