Scriptures engraved in artillery

by cameo-d 45 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Greek slingers would engrave their rocks with "take that" (In greek of course) and Zeus's thunderbolts.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

the case here is the simple fact that the weapons/accessories were not engraved by the warriors themselves but by the manufacturer and distributed to anyone regardless of whether he's offended or not.

You wouldn't know there was anything there other than a product code unless someone told you. It's old news anyway. The offending scriptures are on rifle scopes. Trijicon makes the scopes, and they use tritium inserts to illuminate the optics for night use. It's not on the rifles themselves. Trijicon has a "scripture code" as part of their model number on all their stuff, including civilian products. The texts usually have some reference to "light", since these are illuminated optics.

The “secret ‘Jesus’ Bible codes” are hardly secret. They are noted on the body of each optic, appended to the model number. For example, the line on a telescopic 4-power, 32mm lens ACOG sight reads “ACOG4X32JN8:12,” with “JN8:12″ a rather less-than-cryptic reference to John 8:12 — a verse in the New Testament that reads:

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

A Reflex sight manufactured by the company notes a model number line of “REFLEX1X2-2COR 4:6,” with the familiar biblical abbreviation of “2COR 4:6″ referring to 2 Corinthians 4:6:

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

Other variants of these Trijicon optics also contain a biblical abbreviation openly appended to the product number, as do some of the other optical products made by the company. The abbreviations are an element that Tom Munson, Trijicon’s director of sales and marketing, says has “always been there.”

As it happens, “always” would go back to when Trijicon optics were first adopted by the U.S. military, starting with an early version of the ACOG entering the Army’s Advanced Combat Rifle Program in 1987 — 23 years ago.

Trijicon optics first went to war with the U.S. Army in Operation Just Cause in 1989, and Trijicon sights were used in the 1990-91 Gulf War, also known as Operation Desert Storm. By 1995, the 4×32 ACOG was adopted by the U.S. Army Special Forces, with the Reflex joining the Green Berets in 1996. By 2004, a variant of the 4×32 ACOG became the first standard combat rifle optical sight of the Marine Corps, after a 229-year tradition of relying almost exclusively on iron sights.

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot if you ask me. I've always wanted an ACOG, but I can't afford a $600 scope. Make that $1200. They are pretty rugged and don't need batteries.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks

SLoon! LOL

Burn, kudos.

• villabolo
    villabolo

SacrificialLoon: "Greek slingers would engrave their rocks with "take that" (In greek of course) and Zeus's thunderbolts."

As I've just said, the soldiers/warriors/slingers etc are not engraving anything on their weapons, it is being done by them in utter disrespect of their religions.

villabolo

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Oh, I should've quoted BTS there

warriors have long customized and adorned their own weapons

I was just stating some historical trivia.

I realize that was done by the company, and because of seperation of church and state I think the federal government should tell them to remove those scriptural references on scopes purchased by the government. What they sell to the public they can put on just about whatever they want.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It's not a big deal, and people on gun boards have known about it for years, you'd think ABC's awesome investigative journalism would be capable of finding a real story.

BTS

• villabolo
    villabolo

BTS: Thank you for illuminating me on how long Trijicon has been, through it's military contracts, stamping its religious mumbo jumbo on its accessories. Why couldn't it make a special line of scopes engraved with "Allah akbar" which is used by every muslim including the ones in the Iraqi and Afghan Armies? But no, like you typical Americans you have no finnesse let alone wisdom.

villabolo

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A rifle scope is not "artillery."

ar·til·ler·y

, n.

the science that treats of the use of such weapons.
    the troops or the branch of an army concerned with the use and service of such weapons.
    mounted projectile-firing guns or missile launchers, mobile or stationary, light or heavy, as distinguished from small arms.

• villabolo
    villabolo

SacrificialLoon:

"I realize that was done by the company, and because of seperation of church and state I think the federal government should tell them to remove those scriptural references on scopes purchased by the government. What they sell to the public they can put on just about whatever they want."

Thank you SL, I was just about to state that and I believe it contradicts the spirit of what BTS is saying. He brings up all these facts about what Trijicon has been imprinting for years to its civilian customers but having no social conscience he just doesn't get the implications of this issue.

villabolo

• beksbks
    beksbks

It's amazing the way right wingers turn a blind eye to anything that suits them. Praise the corporate gods, surely they have our best interests at heart. Church and State? Ohhh welll now you know, it's no big deal. Hey that's not even artillery idiot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit