uni is not all its cracked up to be me dears, sorry

by highdose 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I can agree that for some jobs, having a degree is kind of pointless. Personally, I'm entering the medical field, which I'm sure people can agree, you should have gone to school for.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Your post demonstrates the profound truth of your statement.

Indeed. If you present yourself grammatically in public as you just did here trying to convince us of the futility of education, it is no wonder why you've failed the realize its benefits and perceive it as an accolade of no use.

In fact, your whole post reeks of the WT perception of why a university education is of no use.

I have been in the position I'm in my technical job and in education for 15 years. I've been in classrooms teaching technical classes related to my profession for the past 10 years. I am at the top of my game in my department..the second highest paid with the longest tenure. But, I can go no further without at least a BA.

Your "don't worry....just be happy" mantra is the same crap I had to put up with the first 10 years of my adult life as a JW, and all it got me was a bookshelf full of worthless WT publications and scarred arms from being trapped working in the food service industry.

• sir82
    sir82

Hmm, maybe you should have attended a better university....

• out4good3
    out4good3

Finally-Free

I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the exact same position you are in. Though I've ben trying, I can't move up to director of IT without a college degree. Hell, I even have people who directly report to me who wouldn't have gotten the jobs they have were it not for their college degrees. Now they are in a position to blow right past me.

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I have to disagree with you HD.

University has and is giving me the best opportunities, plus, I've made some great relationships with individuals that express an open and independent view on life. That in itself is enough for me to continue my studies for as long as humanly possible.

Regards
    RAB

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi All - as someone who works in this field, I can't stay silent!

Obviously I can only speak for myself and my colleagues, but we never demean students' work by regarding it as a box ticking exercise. We recognise the effort that goes into the work presented and reward accordingly. HD - I understand you're angry but to be honest your comments are pretty insulting and a huge generalisation.

Unfortunately too many students in higher education want the required knowledge to be given to them on a plate. They can often regard it as an instrumental process, i.e. just learn what you need for an exam. This isn't real education. As other posters have said, education and development is not just about being able to recall facts but can also include significant personal enhancement.

These areas can include, working in a team, managing your own work, achieving deadlines, making presentations to class - there are many more I could mention. These soft skills are vital to employers and can make the student much more marketable.

I was discouraged from getting an education as a teenager and this was the last straw for me. Education delivery is changing more to a work and study model. We have a lot of people currently employed who are undertaking courses part time, as for many, giving up employment is not an option. I see this as a positive development as it means that education is more open and flexible than the one shot system which operated previously.

There were bits of my courses that I didn't like as a student, but I had to keep reminding myself of the long term goal. This kept me on the straight and narrow, allowing me to get to the finish line. If the lecturers were sub standard then I saw it as my responsibility to ensure that I understood the subject. I know that is not an excuse for poor lecturing, but in higher education getting rid of under performing staff can be difficult. All too often students will blame staff for their own underperformance instead of addressing the real reasons.

It boils down to this - the job market is getting tougher all the time, employers are holding all the cards. If you have an opportunity to get your foot in the door via a piece of paper then that's what you have to do.

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

I agree with changeling “education e xpands our horizons”. Some college professor are mere instructors, others are “real teachers, mentors, etc”. In part, one of the benefits of going to a university is that it teaches you to take responsibility for your own education. Its also about the experience, meeting different people with different points of view, again…it’s about expanding your horizons.

A college degree in the right field could represent a ticket to a better paying job, it doesn’t guarantee a job or success, but it makes it a lot easier to find stability. For example, there are plenty of qualified people that are very smart and could be good teachers, but they won’t get a teaching job unless they have a degree in teaching.

I think this is another topic that falls into the “it’s a matter of opinion” bin. My 2 centabos.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you want to be a school teacher and get all the benefits of teaching school, Summers off

above average pay, retirement, all the holidays off, working regular hours. You have to have

a college degree.

A college degree will also give you a leg up in getting hired in a job that doesnt require college

like a fireman.

Now days in Florida to be a policeman you have to have a college degree, and its been like that

for at least the past 20 years.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Education is what you make of it.

• shamus100
    shamus100

One thing I will say is if you choose to go into a field that is extremely specific and find that you HATE it, you're basically stuck in a job you will hate for the rest of your life.

That aside, let's see how much money you make when you're 50 compared to what I make when I'm 50. It will be more, though not by as much as most would expect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit