Climate Change threads on JWN - why I'm stopping posting on them

by besty 83 Replies latest members politics

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, Jeffo!

Lol... No problem. In case the humor was missed, that wasn't meant as a compliment to me, but as an in your face insult to the right. Just because I felt like it.

My arm hurts....

• villabolo
    villabolo

This isn't the first time somebody who was dedicated to the subject matter of Global Warming decided to quit posting on that issue. And she did so for the same reasons besty has given. Her moniker is kudra and she is studying in school on a subject that touches on Climate Change. She was simply exasperated at the irrationality of many who were posting on that subject and felt that her contributions were futile.

villabolo

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Paralimpenonononandon - you couldn't resist one more denier zombie myth. Scientific opinion in the 1970's predicted global warming. See the first link I posted in my OP. How lazy can you get. If you want to present evidence to the contrary be my guest - the fascinated JWoods hit the exits when confronted with the facts. (But please read that thread first - its only a click away) Incidentally most of the media are guilty of making out climate change to be significantly less urgent as a problem than it really is - but that's another thread.

I have to confess, I only check here a few times a year now so I don't really click on back links. But since you requested it, I read the thread you mentioned and saw a very pretty graph.

My whole point was the media hypes things up so people need to be objective about scientific matters. So I read and researched the paper you linked.

1) The purpose of the study was named "THE MYTH OF THE 1970S GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS"

2) The scientific study you reference was prepared by a law professer

3) The law professor is now President and CEO of "The Center for Climate Strategies"

4) He founded the Center for Climate Strategies to assist governments and stakeholders with developing effective policy responses to climate change.

5) The CCS is funded by private foundations, donors and governments at the program and project levels

So you are basing your damning evidence on the scientific advice of a law professor running a company soley dependant on government grants and donations to advance policy on Global Warming. Do you really consider this an objective scientific approach?

How about the articles from the 1970's that caused the hype? Did you read some of those to see what they quoted as their sources? I reviewed several and I can understand the hype. Whether valid or not, the major periodicals and news sources of the day did seek out high level scientific sources. While quoting a paper written 30 years after the event might be sufficient for you, I prefer to go to the original sources. The news agencies of the time painted the picture to the public that an ice age was a real and imminent threat and the quotes were backed up by respected scientists and institutions.

How much research did you put into that? I tried to understand how you might have discovered this article so I googled "1970 ice age" and it came up as the #2 result. I hope you did more than that.

I still maintain that unless you are part of the inner scientific community, you need to be objective with what the media spoon feeds you. I am not, so I take all information objectively.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Besty, I started to reply to Paralipomenon with a "ok, so what do you believe about the physical mechanics of ghg global warming at the most basic level?" type question.

I didn't hit reply, and you know why.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Accountants report: Besty has now commented ten times on a thread about how he's going to stop commenting on the topic of the thread.

• Simon
    Simon

John Doe + BurnTheShips:

You are both idiots and I am sick of reading your utter drivel.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Back at you Simon.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Said like a true English man LOL

Reading the news about England I bet your glad over here Simon...
    I have heard from so many over home who says it is ghastly

Sorry to steal the post

• villabolo
    villabolo

JeffT:

"Accountants report: Besty has now commented ten times on a thread about how he's going to stop commenting on the topic of the thread."

He's welcome to do that on this his last post on the subject.

villabolo

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Said like a true English man LOL

His type of post is what Besty cited as the other's side's type of argument. I think it enlightening to go back and read the actual posts and see just who is using that type of post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit