Climate Change threads on JWN - why I'm stopping posting on them

by besty 83 Replies latest members politics

• villabolo
    villabolo

To every imbecile and his sister, Nature has the last laugh.

villabolo

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

THIS THREAD GETS THE DARWIN AWARD

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

villabolo:

I just don't buy into sensationalized reports, I feel that it taints the scientific integrity. Global warming, true or false, I really can't say. I still maintain that we don't have enough information to make conclusive statements on the issue. Scientific integrity should reccomend that we cut down on the human factor as best we can, but people won't do that if they feel that it won't happen within in one Generation. So it gets hyped.

Right or wrong, if people really, I mean truly thought that we were headed towards a firey doom, why in the world would they be online? Instead the average internet crusader will drive home to their nice warm house, heat up their meal in their microwave, then is sit down at their keyboards in the glow of a nice screen with their computer humming away close at hand and decry the end of the world due to the inaction of everyone else by themselves.

Mathmatically, the only scientific certainty I subscribe to is that eventually the population will grow past the point that we can sustain. I can show you a nice chart that trends up. But so far, the public has resisted my urging to legalize murder.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I'D BUY INTO THIS IF 'THEY' HAD NOTHING TO GAIN ... BUT APPARENTLY THEIR POCKETS ARE BEING FILLED WITH A LOT OF $$$

• besty
    besty

If anybody needs further evidence why I'm frustrated just take a second or two to compare the responses from JWoods, B-Rock, BTS, WAC and John Doe with that from Farkel.

They all seem to be on the other side of the debate from me, but only one of them is original, credible, coherent, can restrain himself from personal insults and actually make some counterpoints that have value. Even if I disagree with them. The others have, however inadvertently it may have been on their part, revealed their intentions and agenda as clearly as if they had taken a full page in the National Enquirer.

Paralimpenonononandon - you couldn't resist one more denier zombie myth. Scientific opinion in the 1970's predicted global warming. See the first link I posted in my OP. How lazy can you get. If you want to present evidence to the contrary be my guest - the fascinated JWoods hit the exits when confronted with the facts. (But please read that thread first - its only a click away) Incidentally most of the media are guilty of making out climate change to be significantly less urgent as a problem than it really is - but that's another thread.

Global warming, true or false, I really can't say. I still maintain that we don't have enough information to make conclusive statements on the issue.

The argument from personal incredulity doesn't cut it. You may not have enough information but thankfully we can look to others who do.

so that leaves Farkel :-)

Well, you should be congratulated. The parting pot shots were not very good form, though

You didn't specify what I should be congratulated for, but I have no problem revealing these people for what they are. I have suffered numerous personal attacks on these threads so mentioning the cut and paste culture and the tendency to silently abandon threads is no problem to me. Look at the threads I posted links for and you tell me what happened. And what I said wasn't a personal attack on them - just showing the facts.

Climate Change is a very controversial subject

And that is the genius of the denier propaganda machine. The widest ranging most prestigious scientific review ever conducted on climate change (IPCC AR4) concluded with 90% certainty humans are responsible for global warming. Signed off on by such bastions of responsibility and vested interest as China, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Russia. Climate change is only controversial in the court of public opinion where no standards of evidence exist and everybody can be an expert. Focusing on the 'controversy' is a key denier strategy. See creationism for details.

It is a HUGE undertaking to 1) First be able to accurately measure climate change on a global scale over a long period of time and 2) accurately pin-point the exact cause(s) of it, IF it is man-made.

Agreed. And it has been done to a degree of certainty that merits immediate action. See IPCC for details. The climate scientists are significantly more concerned now than they were in 2007, not forgetting that all governments (see above for examples) had to sign off on the IPCC synthesis report so the language used was toned down to lowest common denominator. And they still stated 90% certain. This is not new information. There is at least 40 years of recent climate science across multiple areas of expertise all saying the same thing. Where denial stops, delay begins. Exactly like the tobacco lobby did so successfully - there are still 'experts' proclaiming that 'environmental' smoke - second-hand smoke - is not harmful. When its no longer credible to deny the primary lung cancer link they move to further delay additional safety measures. Delay delay delay when deny is no longer viable.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Villa,

To every imbecile and his sister, Nature has the last laugh.

You got that right! We could go by the way of the dinosaurs went 65 million years ago, and an asteroid could do it to us just like it did it to them. They say about every 100 million years it happens anyway, so we are about due. Anyway winning or losing a debate is low on the list of probable causes. And we have in play population steady states which is all natural and no guarantees which species goes extinct.

I'm only on this earth for a few more years anyway so why should I be that concerned.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Besty, you take yourself way too seriously. And like I said, and you have proven here, you are lying when you say you're going to stop posting about global warming (can this thread possibly contain any more irony?)--you're looking for a drama. That's all fine and dandy, but just admit it.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:You didn't specify what I should be congratulated for,

For extracating yourself from a very heated and emotional series of debates that do not do much to pursuade your detractors. When everyone is so entrenched, it's time to go home and relax!

Farkel

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well I generally agree with Besty that climate change is real and we should do something about it. However I think there are far more pressing concerns facing humanity, such as the issue of peak oil and the end of the capitalist system as we know it, and what will come next.

I have noticed that climate change seems to be particularly popular among people in California for some reason. Isn't peak oil popular over there too? Or Marxism?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Besty ... for the sake of argument lets say your 100% right ... okay. Now what? None of us here have any power to create obama style change. Take your facts/figures to the policitians. What do you expect to accomplish on a site of former mind control vicitms?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit