My growing opinion about religion

by AK - Jeff 38 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Jeff, I agree. I have totally given up on religion....any religion. Especially organized religion.

I raised my boys to believe in God, but not needing to belong to a any religious "party"...similar to politics.

I am not an atheist or an agnostic. My MIL is a Unitarian...I don't buy into that either.

Sometimes I think that the true religion, might be in the future....Or it may never exist.

In the end, its up to God who qualifies for whatever..... or not, or nothing at all.

r.

• Ri
    Ri

I to do not believe in any religion but have my faith in God and call myself a Christain ....My son however is still a JW and brings up the scripture....GATHER YOURSELVES TOGETHER...How can I argue that? anyone? I can not find a group to gather to.

• cantleave
    cantleave

"When two or more are gathered in my name etc"............. Doesn't say a congregation.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    GATHER YOURSELVES TOGETHER...How can I argue that? anyone? I can not find a group to gather to.

Ri, re-read that scripture and ask yourself, who is it that Paul (allegedly attributed as the writer of Hebrews) is talking too?

Is it that Governing Body of JW's? Why write one congregation to setup their own meetings? Doesn't that at least suggest that individual congregations, if not individuals period, have the autonomy to prepare and schedule their own meetings?

The GB has stolen Hebrews 10 thanks to Mt 24. They claim authority of everything. But read the scripture. At best, its directed to one congregation. If you want to take it further, each individual Christian should gather together with other Christians.

Don't take that scripture too literally. You are experiencing fear of the superstitious as ingrained in you by the GB. Don't sweat it. If you are serious, go meet other Christians. It doesn't have to be the JW way, thats for sure!

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Ri,

You can gather together with like minded believers (even other Christians) in many other ways besides belonging to an organized religion or church. In fact when Paul wrote those words there was no particular place where believers gathered, like churches of today. Christians met in private homes. To say we must have a certain building, denomination etc. to gather is not true. It is a way for religion to build up their members and their $$$. That is all. Don't feel pressure to join any particular group.

I listen to worship services online and when I feel like it I go to church with a friend. But I am not a member of any religious institution nor do I plan on becoming one. I am a free agent in Christ alone.

One last thing; for Christians the "church" is simply the body of Christ and all those "in him", no matter what denomination you belong to. We ARE the church, we do not need to GO TO a church if we choose not to. Peace, Lilly

• Ri
    Ri

Thanks for your answer ALLTIME JEFF ....Yes, I have thought that Paul was only talking to the Christains of that time period and explained to my son also that the Christains of Pauls time are still preaching, in the sense that their words are still with us and the world knows where to find the words of Jesus. The Christains of the first century are indeed still peaching the "Good News"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are some pleasant religious people who don't come off so overbearing. But otherwise, I know what you mean.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Like Sting said, "Men go crazy in congregations but they only get better one by one."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ewh6Bk-Qo

• flipper
    flipper

JEFF- I didn't really know what to classify myself as ( I thought just agnostic ) until I had lunch with Farkel about 2 months ago. After explaining my philosophy of life to him he said that I seemed like a " humanist " to him. If you Wikopedia " Secular Humanism " you will find this introduction :

" Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that espouses reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and religious dogma as the basis of morality and decision making. Secular humanism is a life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead good, happy and functional lives . "

So that's it in a nutshell on what I believe. If you want the entire detail just Google : " Secular Humanism " under Wikopedia. I'm open to the notion there MAY be a God, but I'm just as open to the notion there may NOT be a God. It really doesn't bother me either way. I just don't know. My basic core beliefs are to just help make mankind a better place individually as far as we are capable in helping people to think free and be able to access any critical thinking information which can assist them to succeed in life the best way for them.

I'm not offended by those who are religious - unless they try to cram it down my throat that somehow, someway they are better or less evil or more righteous than me. Then I have a problem with that arrogant concept. Because as you mentioned Jeff - some of the kindest, humble, and caring people I have met don't have ANY religious beliefs at all. In fact, many act more Christian than the alleged Christian's ! But I respect everyone's right to believe what they want. It won't affect my core beliefs one way or the other

• moshe
    moshe

Around 1998, when my son was 18 he asked me to explain the meaning of religion. I thought about it for a few seconds and I had a sort of epiphany. I told him, "religion is a belief sytem to explain the unexplainable". It seems we have come full circle from the first human societies who created religions with gods, devils, good and evil, in order to make sense of their world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit