My growing opinion about religion

by AK - Jeff 38 Replies latest jw friends

• xmkx
    xmkx

There are a few Christian denominations that I suspect reflect a more open-minded nature and a few churches that are pushing an open-minded nature but right now they don't have much power and they seem to be few and far in between.

That aside, I think most Christian churches today push a very dysfunctional message that has been passed down over many generations, so much so that it has became a lifestyle more than it has been just a belief. I don't think that there is anything wrong with Christianity itself but I do believe that people have became too reliant on someone else's interpretation of scripture rather than actually sitting down and reading the bible and figuring it out for themselves. I also think that many have gotten caught up in the culture so to speak and either don't really understand what they are professing or don't really care. There's also the huge issue of people using religion to meet emotional and not spiritual needs. Let's not forget the hunger for money in the churches and the religion... more members, more donations, more merchandise purchases, etc... Christianity has ultimately became a big time business.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, I think religion is a lot like the constant barrage of "urban rumor" emails I get. Some of these rumors have been shuffling around the Internet for 10 years or more. Unknown authors add, subtract and embellish them to suit their fancy and the current person of interest in society. Most of the people who send them never check out the veracity of the email- shoot, they want to believe in what it says and that is good enough for them. I began to realize the same process must have been at work with the Jesus sayings, too. The Jesus story just got better and better. And like xmkx, I believe that most people just let past practice determine their religious beliefs, rather than do any research on their own. The Internet has finally made it possible to have a dialoge about religious beliefs without it turning into a physical fight.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think reliigion cause more trouble in the world than any thing else
    But I believe a relationship with God( in my case Jesus) helps me immensly
    I think Churches ( I do not attend any now) are good for people to make friendsfind help( in need) even find loves( man/woman/) Better than nightclubs etc.
    Since being ousted from the WT Iv'e attended Baptist for years,Pentecostal
    United,Salvation Army .Mennonite,Presbyterian in ALL I have wonderful freinds
    & they remain my friends,Would do anything I ask of them..
    So If I went to a church ( I go to give my testimony which they really are so pleased with
    as they dont know what the WT teaches .)I would pray that I can sit next to someone
    who I could encourage or could encourage me. That is how we can use the LOVE!!!
    That MY GOD says will be recognized

Put the rocks down ,I am going to bed now I dont need rocking thanks

• garyneal
    garyneal

Good topic...

I go back and forth myself trying to determine what my beliefs are. I do consider myself a Christian and feel that I have been for many years, but I also consider myself humanist in a sense that religious doctrine should be rescinded when it comes to matters of human life. Personally, I just cannot accept that everything is simply a black and white thing as many dogmatic religions tend to promote. Over the years, I've found that the protestant churches are divided in so many denominations that tend to bicker over some of the silliest of things that I find it hard to believe that any of them have the whole truth taught in the Bible. Personally, I feel like truth is very basic and that Christ's teachings cover it very succinctly.

Religion, especially organized religion, has become a major turn off for me. My wife is contemplating being baptized at the next assembly in March. I told her that she is making a big mistake which she of course disagrees. She then tells me, "What do I have to offer in terms of religion? Nothing, therefore I am sticking with mine." In the past, I did indeed try to find something that would be a 'replacement' but there is nothing or at the very least, nothing I like any better. Religion has its place, particularly for the sheeple who just wants to feel like they belong to the 'right' group.

For me, I still believe in the Bible and the church I go to does try to follow it as best as they can. It is my desire that I get to know some of the people there better and hope to establish friendships that will hopefully be beneficial. However, I am loyal to no church and have never been. My parents don't go to church though they tell me that they believe in God. I can say that in many ways, they show more christian kindness than many christians. My wife gives me grief sometimes because my beliefs don't seem to be so 'structured' as hers are and therefore they must not be correct.

In the end, all we can do is try to love one another for who we all are and try to let our lives be an example of what true christian love is all about.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

WOnderful comments, all.

I am impressed with so many on this board. I think that as Jw's we were missing the journey of life. We sat it out. We waited. Now - though more difficult in some respects, less cut and dried, many are thinking clearly. We won't choose the same path, but we will mostly find peace I believe through that pathway - and are finding peace.

Yes, Flipper, I probably best fit that discription too - secular humanist - just hadn't put that title to it.

Peace all.

Jeff

• Heaven
    Heaven

"religion is a belief sytem to explain the unexplainable".

moshe, this is excellent! I would also add "used to control the people". What I saw even as a young person was there really is no need for religion to have 'Spirituality' or a relationship with God (if that's what you define Spirituality to be or is what you are looking for). I saw religion as interferring and messing this up. I also saw "God" as not necessarily being an outside, higher power but a higher power within all of us.

• designs
    designs

My early childhood idols were John Muir, Albert Schweitzer, Henry David Thoreau, the Mesa Verde Indian dwellers, now I've gotten the opportunity to return to those influences and build on them. Each day is an opportunity, take your new freedom and go for it.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I tend to share your opinion, Jeff. Very religious people make me nervous, as so many of them seem to feel they are in possession of the "truth" and need to force others to accept a religious way of thinking. There are exceptions to that, of course. Moshe and Heaven - you bring up an interesting point regarding the appeal and role of organized religion. As Jeff says, spirituality is not religion.

Ever since suffering my own loss of faith, I've been in a kind of limbo. I haven't come to terms with whether I want to embrace a set of beliefs that might be defined as religious. Cantleave's idea and humanist philosophy is also appealing.

I'd say existentialism is probably the closest to my belief right now. Two of existential theory's founders: Kierkegaard and Nietzsche, argued that organized religion prevented the use of free will and allowed people to avoid actively embracing life's anxieties. Sartre, May and Frankl took these ideas further and developed existentialism into a form of therapy, with the key message that we are each alone and must find validation for life within ourselves. Our problems are our own and we are the authors of our destiny. Once we take responsibility for our choices, we can find our potential and true meaning in life. Existentialism is very much about taking control of one's own life - something quite contrary to JWs and other organized religion.

I haven't yet formulated a complete theory of my faith and spirituality as an existentialist. However, I'm now responding to questions from my grandchildren about god and the meaning of life, so I think I must resolve my crisis of faith fairly soon!

• designs
    designs

mamochan13

I've enjoyed reading the existentialists in class and for general enjoyment, their insights helped in expelling a lot of superstitions and fears. Embrace life is the mantra. As for belief systems and how to have empathy for them I'd suggest Joseph Campbell's 'An Open Life', seeing others beliefs as their stories gives you good objectivity and removes the emotional sting that religion can carry.

• littlebird
    littlebird

I can't stand the thought of "organized" religion after spending years expected to go to meeting after meeting & field service. I view it as just another way for man to dominate man. I occasionally go to church, because I enjoy the worship & singing and also some fellowship. I actually view this board, & others, as church. Regardless of the different viewpoints expressed hear, I gain something in my spiritual walk. I'd rather have a relationship with Jesus wherever I go, than to be stuck in a building.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit