My growing opinion about religion

by AK - Jeff 38 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I believe that all of them are 'False'. When I walked away from Jw's I thought that I would find other religions more comforting, less controlling. What I found was more of the same. Religion acting like a 'prophet'. Religion busy 'interpreting' scripture. Religion judging everyone who does not agree with them.

Further, I have found most 'religious people' to be driven in the same manner. I even had one self-righteous 'Christian' tell me in effect, that I could not have expected God to hear my prayers as a Jw since I was in a cult. What arrogance! He cannot prove that he has any more 'truth' than Jehovah's Witnesses do. Wow.

The more I look, the more it looks just like what I left.

I will take my chances among the 'wicked'. I have found most of them to be far less judgemental. And more likable. Perhaps God is blessing the 'ungodly' because they are actually acting more like he would like?

Just my observation. I still like some Christians - but not many. [Present company accepted. But of course some will still take offense.]

Jeff

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Jeff, as you and I have sometimes discussed, I call myself Christian, but purely in the cultural sense. Certainly not in the religious.

I think anytime you have an expectation, if it isn't met, there will be disappointment. I took it a step further long ago. I totally ruled out finding any compelling "truth" among religions at all. It took the pressure off. On the rare occasion I do enter a church, it is totally for me, not for "god".

If anyone dares judge me because I don't believe as they do, they will hear about it. Otherwise, if someone has privately held beliefs but respects me and where I come from, he can be as "religious" as he wants.

I don't look for anything from religions at all anymore. Why set myself up for disappointment?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Agreed on every point ATJ.

Jeff

• Satanus
    Satanus

' Perhaps God is blessing the 'ungodly' because they are actually acting more like he would like?'

Seems ironic, eh? Doesn't it cast doubt on the consensus of what god is?

S

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Jeff,

I am a christian but am also anti religous organization. To me Christianity is a faith and not a "religion" in the sense that most people think it is. I follow the teachings of jesus who really was anti religious establishment. Personally I feel that men use religion to dominate other men. So I agree with you in a way, that all religion today is false. We were born to be free and use our own consciences. Men gets into trouble when they try to put God in their own box and keep him all to themselves. Christians are notorious for doing this. Lilly

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Lilly, I find your reasonableness refreshing. Thanks for understanding, even if your personal beliefs differ from mine and others.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I follow the teachings of jesus who really was anti religious establishment.

Thanx for that Lil. I actually do that too - though I no longer call myself Christian. Actually, I sometimes take the moniker 'Christian Agnostic'. I agree with what ATJ mentioned - cultural norms in my land. I respect the teachings of Jesus, and live to the basic standards he spoke - though not because he said so - but rather because I believe it wisdom.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Unfortunately I must retire for the night. 0200 comes early.

Peace to all.

Jeff

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am still in the belief system melting pot. I actually feel that there is no god, but still want to believe in something and don't want to entirely dismiss that option. I don't think the bible is inspired although it does distill some good principles, certainly in Jesus simple message.

One area I am gravitating towards the idea that everyting we need to fulfill our spiritual side can be found in the natural world. It may sound bizarre but I think pre-christian cultures such as Druids are going to be the next area I explore, at least in terms trying to understand what they were about.

• dgp
    dgp

Interesting ideas, cantleave, as I myself am somewhere where you are, only perhaps more inclined to the atheist side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit