London (UK) tips

by poopsiecakes 36 Replies latest jw friends

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi!

So my sister and I are flying across the pond to stay in London for Christmas and New Year's. We'll be staying at a house in Lambeth thanks to my sister having applied for a house sitting gig - we'll be looking after 2 cats while the home owners are away. Yay for free accomodations!!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what we can do on the cheap...I'd also love to hear from locals about their favorite places.

I was also curious if anyone has ever gone to Roxy Bar and Screen? Seems very cool but a first hand review would be helpful. I'm really looking forward to strolling the Carnaby Street area to see the lights displays and we'll probably hit the usual museums.

Thanks!

• cantleave
    cantleave

You could always go to London Bethel!!!!!!!!

Seriously the British Museums are free. My favourite is the Science museum but the British and Victoria and Albert are cool also.

• Mickey mouse
  • llbh
    llbh

London Eye is fab, a must must do.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/minisite/ed-ruscha-fifty-years-of-painting/

If you like Art this exhibition is fantastic, I have seen it once and will be going down again in the next week before is closes. Also worth a visit is the Saatchi gallery.

London is fab city, i live just north of it and go there often, have a great time

David

• cantleave
    cantleave

Tate gallery and national gallery.

• Simon
    Simon

The British Museum as others have said - it is fantastic. Just don't make the mistake of being taken on a tour by a volunteer by some bethelite who wants to give you the distorted version of history according you Joboboah god.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

London Walks are the one of the best, inexpensive ways to spend a couple of hours.

Pollos Old Compton Street, Soho - GREAT (Italian Cafe - basic, looks like a real dive) place to eat, really cheap - go for the pasta.

Never been to Roxy Bar but the Ritzy in Brixton is a great place to catch a movie and there's a fab place to eat along the road called the Satay Bar

Tate Modern is always worth a look

The Barbican often has good free music - check out what's on when you'll be there

Have a fabulous time!!

Sam

• doublelife
    doublelife

You could visit the prime meridian in Greenwich.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Thanks for the great ideas everyone

I've been researching and the museums are a definite must, I agree. Simon, I'll be on the watch for anyone with a vacant expression wearing a suit; llbh, that exhibition looks very cool; and Sam the Barbican looks awesome. Poopsie's getting excited!!!!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

OH and yeah, cantleave I'll definitely keep the bethel tour in mind....yawn

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit