London (UK) tips

by poopsiecakes 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

looks like it will be the only option, taxis in London will be few and far and also charge an eye watering tariff over the xmas period, better use a Private Hire Car Service like Addison Lee,there will be a supplement but cheaper then a taxi. Portobello Road is a good market as well

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Thanks so much Jook! I'll look into the car service thingy

• besty
    besty

why not take in a rugby match on the 27th for a tenner (10GBP) at Twickenham the home of English Rugby - 80,000 people all full of beer and cheer

http://www.rfu.com/Tickets/Events/2009_12_27_TheBigGame2

some naff pre-match entertainment from Britain's Got No Talent and plenty of beer will do the trick....

<and you will know what all the Londoners on JWN are on about when they refer to twickers - the biggest district convention in the UK is held there every summer>

after the game walk/taxi/train to Richmond - about 2 miles - and take in as many of the pubs along the river as you can, the Pitcher & Piano by the bridge is reasonably pleasant, wander along the river to the White Cross for something more authentic, the Orange Tree on the main street is legendary. Bad reputation now is The Bull across from the railway station - dive in for 1 drink just to say you've been to the venue where the Rolling Stones played their first London gig.....eat at Giraffe on the main street - decent quality fresh food at semi-reasonable prices....

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

We hit London in the spring, our first trip there. We got the "London Card" which included entry to a ton of different exhibits of historical and personal interest. It also helped us map out our day since there's so much in the city to see, we basically just stuck to what was included in the deal and it filled the 5 days we were there.

Oh, and bring lots of money. London is an expensive city.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

London is expensive but so are most Cities in Northern Europe, friends have just returned from Paris and Rome, jaw dropping expensive! more then London, Brussels and Amsterdam, are expensive and Cities in Scandinavia even more so, as are all cities in the Euro zone. How people can even afford to go to Dublin baffles me over 100 Euros for a very basic hotel and a pint of Guinness for 7 euros!

• nugget
    nugget

Off of Portugal Stree is the old curiosity shop. There is also Sir John Soames Museum which is a house stuffed full of artifacts from the Grand Tour.

There is also the Museum of the Moving Image near Waterloo.

To see an old style department store try Fortnum and Mason in Picadilly really posh. Royal Academy of Art is there as well you can check on line to see what the current exhibition is. Along Picadilly are loads of undercover arcades with old fahioned shops which are interesting even if you don't see anything you want to buy.

Advice is occasionally look up above the shop fronts it's amazing what you see when you take the time.

Watch out for pickpockets in the main tourist areas they work in teams and are very effective. Don't use backpacks to carry valuables they are an open invitation.

Have a great trip.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I work in "downtown" London, pickpockets are as just as much a problem as in any other city in the World, especially in the summer, backpacks are a convenient and practical way to carry gear. Anyone looking for good "pub grub" look to some of the many Gastropubs that have sprung up in recent years, The Hope & Anchor on The Cut at Waterloo is very good, you cant book so get there early for lunch or dinner, The Cow on Westbourne Park Road is good for Guinness and Oysters, Gordon Ramsay's pub chain have some good outlets including The York and Alabany close to Camden good for the market there as well, also The Warrington in Maida Vale. If you are looking for good fish and chips dont just go to the first place you see other wise you will be let down, the world famous Seashell in Lisson Grove has closed now due to a fire and wont be open till the newyear, but Superfish on Waterloo Road is great , all fresh, cooked while you wait, eat in if you want all for less then £10, there is another good one in Victoria , Wilton Street (not sure of the name) which is ok. For good Indian Food Brick Lane is worth a looksey, plus the famous Bagel shop at the top of the street is there. Gerrard Street makes up China Town and says it all a few good Chinky places down there. Some of the best Italian restaurants in the world are in London but very expensive Location Locatelli( Madonna's fave) Assaggi, Riva, Zefferano.

• dozy
    dozy

If you like browsing around shops , a wander around Harrods in Knightsbridge is a must (just don't buy anything) - also Hamleys in Regent Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrods

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamleys

• dissed
    dissed

Good suggestions all.

We always enjoyed the pub lunches. Inexspensive, great atmosphere, and a treat for us non-Londoners.

If you can, save up and enjoy some London theater. Their theaters are much smaller then the ones in the states and are super quality productions.

Watching Oliver, The Phantom, exceptional, have great memories.

Best tour in London? The Tower, of course. Worth every penny and don't forget to tip your Beef Eater guide.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

re pickpockets - please keeps bags and money safe. If you stop for a coffee or drink put your bag on your lap or on the table.

Had my purse stolen 2 weeks ago. My bag was on the floor between my feet. When I went to get my bag it had been pulled to the table behind me and my purse was gone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit