Attending my mum's JW wedding

by iMARX 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

If they know you are worldly and gay they will expect you to behave badly, that's what worldly people do.

Give them the shock of their lives and be a nice wordly gay person, on some level it will surprise them to no end.

I remember an uber dub friend of mine that over the years had several casual worldly friends that were gay.

She never ceased to be surprised at what nice normal people they were and she would comment on it frequently.

• Quandry
    Quandry

some JWs have even told my mum that it's not wise to invite me because it will make other people (JWs) feel uncomfortable.

I agree with the others that it is a day for your mother to shine.

You (and whoever you bring with you) must strive to be low-key and remain in the background, no matter what others say or do. You will not regret it, as it will make your mother's day special, and the bond between you grow! It will also set the others at ease, and be a great beginning to your relationship with your new stepfather.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

See how much PAGAN origins you can find in the wedding. Like white dresses, vails, Brides maids, Ushers, Red Carpet, and most imprtantly Wedding rings, diamonds, and the "ring Finger"

• iMARX
    iMARX

Haha, thanks Joshnaz! I will try and find paganisms.

Thanks for all your advice everyone and I will be really nice. But don't think my mum is necessarily liberal as she puts a lot of JW stuff before me and my brother and it's really disheartening to know she puts her flimsy religion ahead of her own children, but I think she's getting the message slowly but surely that the religion isn't all it's cracked up to be.

And just to let you know, I'm a girl :D

Sarah xxx

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

And just to let you know, I'm a girl :D

Then you can probably get away with dancing with your partner at Mum's wedding reception.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sarah - enjoy the day - it was nice talking with you today.

• iMARX
    iMARX

Then you can probably get away with dancing with your partner at Mum's wedding reception.

How can I?

• cantleave
    cantleave

How can I?

You mum accepts your relationship, she has invited you, she wants you to celebrate her special day and enjoy yourself, so just get on that floor and dance. Lets face it how many witness do's have you been to where two sisters dance together because of a shortage of brothers.

• Joshnaz
  • changeling
    changeling

Take the high road. You mom did the right thing by inviting you and your partner despite the fact that she may catch some flack. Good for her!

Now it's your turn to do the right thing. Honor your mom on her special day. "There's a time and a place for everything"; you can dance and be lovey dovey with your partner on another occassion.

Together, you and your mom can show any judgmental guests what a loving family looks like. Have a great day! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit