Attending my mum's JW wedding

by iMARX 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• iMARX
    iMARX

So I have to go to my mum's JW wedding in 2 weeks. It's not in a KH but there's still going to be about 40 JWs there. Apparently it's "widely-known" that I'm gay and some JWs have even told my mum that it's not wise to invite me because it will make other people (JWs) feel uncomfortable. My mum just told them to go away but even she told me that I shouldn't be lovey dovey with my partner (who's also invited).

I'm just wondering whether I should kill them with kindness as it were and make them wonder why I'm so nice even though I'm a worldly sinner. Or whether to call them homophobes and wish them a merry christmas before I storm out in principle.

Help???

• alanv
    alanv

Personally I think you should show them that even though you're gay, you are actually a very nice, caring person. JWs automatically think that anyone who carries on a life different from their own is a bad person. You have the chance to show them how happy and fulfilling your life is now.

Just wondered as well why the wedding is not at a Kingdom Hall

• iMARX
    iMARX

It's because my mum asked an elder to marry them but he refused because my brother is also gay and still lives at home with my mum. He's not DF'd or anything but just fallen away (or kicked out because he's gay). So mum had this big issue and decided not to have it in a KH and not to invite any JWs. But because the groom's got family in the religion she had to invite them and then forgot about her "policy" on no JWs and went and invited 40 others lol.

Thanks for the advice I was thinking of being really nice and being the bigger person as it were. :)

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

By being the bigger person you will no doubt make your mum prouder of you than i suspect she is already is. And, the respect you show will also make her day i am sure. And who knows, if your demeaner makes even one of those guests start actually thinking, why, as they are so apt to say, "what a great witness that would be!"

Oz

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Its your mum's day...kill them with kindness and respect her request not to be lovey dovey with your partner. BTW, your mum seems like a very liberal JW...good for her.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I agree with Shopaholic. It's Mum's day yet she invited you and "a guest." Best to keep Mum's relationship intact and not try to make some point to others.

• nugget
    nugget

What ever other people have said about your attendance your mum wants you to be there and was initially happy to bann all JWs to make you feel comfortable. This is your Mums special day so be there for her. At most weddings you are not expected to know everyone and although many people are there you tend to stick with a small group anyway. Your Mum has asked your partner to come and your brother so there will be friendly faces there.

I would be approachable and friendly. I think the advice not to be overtly passionate is slightly insulting. I doubt you would behave that way in any case. Enjoy yourself, be yourself. You are there for your Mum, brother and Partner who may find the whole experience slightly bizarre and will need a guiding hand herself.

Enjoy the day the others are just window dressing.

• dissed
    dissed

Mothers are special. Your mum sounds pretty classy to put you and your brother's feelings ahead of the JW's

Honor her on her special day with kindness.

She deserves no less.

Pick aother day and time to stand up for principles.

You are not being a hypocrite for holding inside some feelings, just the good son you are.

But.....if someone does treat you poorly? You have my permission to go out and accidentally 'key' their car. lol

• Gayle
    Gayle

Your Mum sounds somewhat independent for a JW. So there's hope for her. Absolutely, you and your partner sould be there! It's her day! She is a genuine person and your Mum has unconditional love for you, as it should be!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks for the advice I was thinking of being really nice and being the bigger person as it were. :)

Good boy !!!make MUM proud of you!!Let them all do the judging ,Sends THEM down a not a gay,BUT
    UNHAPPY!!!Path ... Hold your head up high.Your a better man than they are,if they snub you.
    Smile at them sweetly,,let us know how it goes will ya!!!!????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit