The Resurection Hope Was Comforting....What Comfort Do You Now Have?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

The irony of the WT's emphasis on the name "Jehovah" - and its meaning, namely, "I shall become WHATSOEVER I PLEASE" - is that their ENTIRE religious structure is based on the idea that the same God can only operate through THEM and only THEY can tell us what he can and cannot do!

My IEVE lives up to his/her/its name. He/her/it will do whatever the hell he/her/it damn well pleases, Brooklyn popes be damned.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    No offense, but can you say that with absolute metaphysical certainty? In other words, are you God? I'm pretty sure I'm not...
    Now that were out of the WT, let's not carry on the tradition of dogmatism. I leave that to the likes of the Pope and Richard Dawkins.

It wasn't my intention to come across as dogmatic. I'm simply stating that I personally entertain no hope of any resurrection. So, if you get to meet my ancestors in a hereafter, by all means -- please tell them hello for me.

I'm in favor of Liberty. I like it when people are free to have the beliefs that suit them.

• agonus
    agonus

No problem friend. Enjoy this precious existence, it is indeed too short, afterlife or not.

"None. Hope is nothing more than an entry point for disappointment. I hope for nothing and I expect nothing. If things turn out otherwise I'll consider it a pleasant surprise."

Ever see the Shawshank Redemption?

Red: "Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. It can drive a man crazy. You're probably never gonna get outta here, so you better get used to the idea."

Andy: "Like Brooks did?"

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Ever see the Shawshank Redemption?

The best line in the movie was: Either get busy living or get busy dying.

I got busy living the day I disassociated myself and I've never looked back.

• agonus
    agonus

Andy Dufresne disassociated himself. It was the longest night of his life...

• leavingwt
  • Open mind
    Open mind

minimus:

"The point is NO religion teaches that when you die you come back to live forever on a paradise earth."

While technically accurate, on a pragmatic level you're leaving out Seventh Day Adventists. They believe they will spend a divine "day" (1,000 years) in heaven and then spend eternity on a paradise earth. So, technically, they don't come back DIRECTLY to earth, but after the 1,000 year detour, it's their ultimate destiny.

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

27. Millennium and the End of Sin:
    The millennium is the thousand-year reign of Christ with His saints in heaven between the first and second resurrections. During this time the wicked dead will be judged; the earth will be utterly desolate, without living human inhabitants, but occupied by Satan and his angels. At its close Christ with His saints and the Holy City will descend from heaven to earth. The unrighteous dead will then be resurrected, and with Satan and his angels will surround the city; but fire from God will consume them and cleanse the earth. The universe will thus be freed of sin and sinners forever. (Rev. 20; 1 Cor. 6:2, 3; Jer. 4:23-26; Rev. 21:1-5; Mal. 4:1; Eze. 28:18, 19.)

28. New Earth:
    On the new earth, in which righteousness dwells, God will provide an eternal home for the redeemed and a perfect environment for everlasting life, love, joy, and learning in His presence. For here God Himself will dwell with His people, and suffering and death will have passed away. The great controversy will be ended, and sin will be no more. All things, animate and inanimate, will declare that God is love; and He shall reign forever. Amen. (2 Peter 3:13; Isa. 35; 65:17-25; Matt. 5:5; Rev. 21:1-7; 22:1-5; 11:15.)

Can't go forgetting our rich Millerite Spiritual Heritage Brother Min!

om

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

About the only hope I can find comfort in right now, minimus, is that the democratic congress is going to reform health-care with a robust public option. If I didn't have that, I think I'd probably just shoot myself.

• minimus
    minimus

OM, what's a thousand years compared to eternity, right?

Six, the Congress sux!

• restrangled
    restrangled

I don't have a clue....

I feel very lost on this subject. Sometimes I feel like my Dead father and brother are watching over me, or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I know there is no torture chamber hell, just firmly don't believe it.

Paradise earth, who knows? If real, it could be hundreds if not 10's of thousands of years from now.....

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit