The Resurection Hope Was Comforting....What Comfort Do You Now Have?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

I have come to hope, they have gone to a "better" place, don't know where, how, don't need to know much else. Just think that it is suppose to be a grand surprise for all of us someday.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Most JWs I know do not want to go to heaven

Primarily, IMHO, because 'Heaven' was never presented as one of the options.

Since the door to Heaven was re-opened in the May 1, 2007 QFR, we've actually seen more people with a desire to go to Heaven.

We'll never know how many would have wanted Heaven, had it been presented as an option on Day 1 of the JW indoctrination process.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

A mind that is freely owned and operated by myself, rather that owned and operated by a bogus religious publishing corporation.

Now that a comfort thats worth having and can last a life time.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Minimus,

Sorry for hijacking the main topic. . .

What do I have now?

The desire and motivation to bestow upon my children the best possible chance at a measure of happiness and success.

It sucks that I won't get to meet my ancestors in the resurrection, but that's just how it is.

-LWT

• agonus
    agonus

As a confused but scientific deist,

1) Resurrection to "heaven" (whatever your concept of such may be) in a different (spiritual/incorporeal or quasi-corporeal) body,

Or, failing that:

2) Resurrection to earth in the same body with the same DNA, except in a better state. There was a brilliant mathematician (can't remember his name) who posited that the resurrection of the dead (possibly at the hands of science) is a mathematical and logistical certainty. I happen to agree.

Matter of fact, resurrection from an agnostic/atheistic (not that I'm either) actually makes MORE sense to me. Allow me to explain:

1) We do not fully understand how or why the universe exists in the first place. Yet, here we are. My very existence - when all the mathematical odds argue against it - is a conundrum that I may never fully comprehend. And yet, I exist. Cogito ergo sum. Logically, this implies that literally anything is possible. When you look at it from that perspective, the nature of reality actually becomes quite intoxicating. Think about it: We do not fully understand consciousness. And yet, from a scientific standpoint, all the conditions for your existence - the alignment of time, space, matter, etc. just happened to coalesce, against infinitesimal odds, at just the right moment, to produce ME! How?! It matters not. I - along with every human being who has ever been born - am a bona fide literal living testament to the miracle of nature! It's all about the numbers. I can explain in more detail as to why I believe this to be so in a later post - if you happen to be interested.

• agonus
    agonus

Many (mainline) Christians are returning (though the WT would like to pretend otherwise) are returning to the early Christian concept of a physical resurrection. Matter of fact, many Christians believe the New Heaven and the New Earth are one and the same (i.e. Heaven IS the "New Earth"). I happen to think the resurrection happens in a time and place where heaven and earth coalesce.

• agonus
    agonus

"It sucks that I won't get to meet my ancestors in the resurrection, but that's just how it is."

No offense, but can you say that with absolute metaphysical certainty? In other words, are you God? I'm pretty sure I'm not...

Now that were out of the WT, let's not carry on the tradition of dogmatism. I leave that to the likes of the Pope and Richard Dawkins.

• agonus
    agonus

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

The WT is run by men with little imagination and knowledge that is bound to a theologically bankrupt model. Never, NEVER allow yourself to be fooled again into thinking that there are limits to human imagination and knowledge.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What Comfort Do You Now Have?

None. Hope is nothing more than an entry point for disappointment. I hope for nothing and I expect nothing. If things turn out otherwise I'll consider it a pleasant surprise.

W

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen to Agonus.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit