Holiday time were you sent to the library or not?

by restrangled 44 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

There are many generations of xjws here. I'm curious as to what happened to you in school.

Were you sent to the library during festivities, allowed to stay home, or allowed to participate? Enter the years if you can and the number of jw's with you.

Mine: mid 1960's to mid 70's. In the library at all costs, or pulled from school. Our Principal hated JW's. She made sure we were miserable if we were in that library. There were 3 of us. Her name was Mrs. Anderson, one of the ugliest females you would ever want to come in contact with.

She was into physical punishment, and had a man's voice.

r.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Restrangled..

I think it was the same for all of us..

Sometimes I could go home..

Sometimes it was the Library..

I hated the teachers that took it out on us..

We had no frigg`n Choice..

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Library for me too......

We were always assigned homework to do, which I could never understand why. I mean, the other kids weren't really learning anything? Why couldn't I just read a book or something?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Empty classroom most times in elementary. I got to the point where I didn't mention to my parents when there were any holiday parties and I think my parents just got tired of having to tell the teachers I wasn't allowed to go. High school, my parents didn't care.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

mid 60s-mid 70s

we just sat in class room when it was festivities time, there 2 of us in the same class, my cousin and i, we sometimes sang along with the carols.

Religious education was different we had to go out of the class room and play sport or just play on the play equipment.

• xeracia
    xeracia

I was one of those kids that would be sent to the office to help the secretary, or just given colouring pages and told to sit quietly and ignore everything. This was in the early 80's. Now in first grade there was another student that was a JW and when she transferred to my school and told the teacher that she had to go out in the hall during the flag salute, I got blamed and my teacher made me stand against the wall for 'influencing' the other students. My first grade teacher really hated Witnesses and from then on I would get massively stressed about going to school.

Once I got into Middle School, I had decided that JW's were b.s. and despite my mother talking to my teachers and telling them I was a JW, I would participate in anything and everything.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Outlaw and Palm tree,

Isn't it funny we were not allowed to just read a book, but had to do homework? It was excruciating as I remember, but it might just be from our time. I wonder what happened during the 80's and 90's.

I remember the hatred of our Principal. She was a monster.

r.

• beksbks
    beksbks

'60's and '70's elementary school I either did the activity with a different theme, or went to the Principals office. There was only one other Dub in the whole school. Middle and High school, I don't remember it being an issue.

In Kindergarten, my teacher came over and slapped my hand on my chest for the flag salute. She was a real biddy. My mom of course went down to the school to explain, but I was never comfortable in that school, K-2, they all seemed mean.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Xeracia,

Wow,.....You're bringing up other memories..... the flag salute. I remember that as very stressful. I think I put my hand over my heart and mouthed the words to avoid the additional stress (In later years but not when I was very young). It is making me nauseous just thinking about it.....I have blocked it out for years.

It seems as young kids we were under constant stress, at school and then having to perform for parents at the meetings, or selling magazines on the weekends.

What a life we led as kids.

r.

• xeracia
    xeracia

I agree. I was a massively stressed out child. Every morning I got sick to my stomach and would even throw up, from the stress of going to school and being 'different'. I absolutely hated school through elementary school. From being asked if I was preaching to my little friends, to having to avoid the holiday and political stuff...not to mention the homemade clothes I was forced to wear. And yes...add to that the stress of attending meetings, studying, having to do parts on the stage (oh how I hated those) and of course, field service. I still believe that raising a child as a Witness is child abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit