Holiday time were you sent to the library or not?

by restrangled 44 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

I have blocked out most of that stuff, PTSD you know. I dropped out after 8th grade, dropped out of the dubs not much later.

Philip

• restrangled
    restrangled

Pec....!

• restrangled
    restrangled

I would be interested to hear about our friends across the pond, as they must be logging on now.

I have to hit it....its after 1:00 am here.

I am curious to hear from everyone, thanks.....I'll check in tomorrow.

r.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Believe it or not ....

I have no idea ....

It is completely blanked out except for one event that I am not going to discuss on a public forum.

• mutinyinheaven
    mutinyinheaven

yes, and during sex ed.

good times.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Mid 60's to late 70's..school years. In the library all alone. Good thing I loved to read.

I think the other JW kids must have stayed home. I wasn't the only JW in the schools.

lisa

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

restrangled

Primary School

Here in Scotland, my older brother and I, and eventually my younger sister, too, were all told to leave the classroom during religious education, whenever there was a church service (even if it involved the annual prize giving, when we were given our prizes at another time) or when the rest of the class were making Christmas decorations, Easter cards, Halloween costumes, or attending the Christmas parties. We usually were sent to the gym hall, and were free to play about. Our family were the only JWs in the school. There were 2 or 3 Jewish kids also that didn't take part in anything 'not approved' by their religion. I found it more difficult to stand out as being different in the junior school.

Secondary School

We were usually sent to another classroom, and were unsupervised! We didn't need to do anything specific. In the room were all the others that were 'excised' from RE, church services, etc. In my particular year there were 3 or 4 Jewish kids, 2 muslims, plus the son of an atheist who asked that his son not participate, plus 2 'communist' kids. It wasn't too embarrassing - quite a few of those that did go were a bit jealous of all of us that didn't have to go, and wished that their parents would write a note to have them excused als! In my final years, I was 'allowed' by my dad to go to the church service to collect my prizes, but only after the service had ended - this was quite awkward as everyone saw me come into the church building and hang around at the back until my name was called out to go forward and collect my prize. Still not allowed to go to the school dances, though!

When our 4 kids were growing up we excluded tham from anything religious, although we never stopped them attending the church service on prize giving days at the end of term. It was only when I DAd myself over 6 years ago that our youngest son no longer had to be the 'odd one out' - he really enjoyed being free from the shackles of the JW cult!

If only I'd quit the cult sooner. If only I'd not been raised as a third generation JW!

lifelong humanist

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

restrangled

Sorry, I forgot to indicate the timeline - Primary in the late 50's and early 60's, Secondary in the late 60's to mid-70's.

Lifelong humanist

• blondie
    blondie

restrangled, yes and no, part in the US and part in a foreign country. But in the US I was in the school xmas play despite the fact that we went to the meetings every week. I went to my uncle's company's xmas party and I remember singing xmas songs and getting a present from Santa and then going to the kh the next day (US). this was in late 50's and early 60's, previous events were in the 70's. We even went to grandma to get our xmas presents, ate a family dinner, and remember the xmas tree.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember going to a program with music and presents and Santa at my father's employer's place. I also remember going to see White Christmas.. We went to non-jw friends homes for dinner and celebration and then went to the kh. Remember my father was not a jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit