Holiday time were you sent to the library or not?

by restrangled 44 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

It's been so long ago, but I vaguely remember the awkwardness of it all. There was a handful of us back then, and I remember being sent to the Library, the Principle's office, and the Coat room. I honestly cannot remember all of how it made me feel back then. I guess you adapt to situations emotionally and accept it for what it is, even as a child. I do recall the Coat room being used for kids that were being disciplined too. My primary elementary teacher had a heart of gold. So even though being in the coat room (kind of like the Hole, in prison), she didnt make me feel as if I was being punished.

The Flag salute was one thing I remember because that was something that continued to be tricky even in High School. I went to a school in the inner city. Wasn't exactly Boys In the Hood, but it wasn't the OC/90210 either. I distinctly remember other teenagers being indifferent to the Flag salute, sometimes even hostile. Here I am amongst these future blockstars sticking out like a sore thumb, because I had enough respect for the Flag salute that I at least stood for it, although not placing my hand across my heart and reciting the pledge. What's funny is, I know JWs that will purposely go late to a baseball or football game, so as to avoid the awkwardness of the National Anthem. I guess to sit while 40,000 other people are standing is too awkward for even an adult. I personally never have seen anything wrong with standing, as it's simply to show respect. You don't have to provide evidence of your allegiance. Those same dubs will question why some people don't stand when singing songs at the KH. (She's not that sick!!, she was standing when shopping at Wal-Mart!!)

One thing I question after all these years, was it really worth it? 95% of the young people I came up with in "The Truth" have left, or are on the fringes. One who was considered exemplary committed suicide not long after her high school graduation. Now here I am, on an Apostate message board. I'd love to ask the powers that be in Wallkill, was it worth it? I understand remaining seperate from the world, when applied appropriately, but when taken to extreme levels, it has the potential to backfire. This board is a testament to that.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I had to go to the library during birthday parties and any other festivities. During Valentine's Day one year, I came back to find about 20 Valentines on my desk and I felt guilty for not participating. In high school, my father was the in-school disciplinarian and I had to go to *his* classroom for things like pep ralleys. There was one other jw in school with me & I was so embarrassed to be associated with her. She was the type who'd go up to the coolest boy in school and say "Now if you were driving and your car starting make a loud, unusual sound, would you turn up the radio and keep driving or would you find a solution to the problem?"(do you remember that analogy?it was s'posed to lead into jw talk, but I cant remember how)

• VIII
    VIII

My sister and I were the only JW kids in a very Catholic neighborhood in Chicago. We went to a public school and during morning class when the pledge was done, I was made to go into the coatroom by one teacher (first grade) and made to stand in the hall by another (second grade). Third grade is a blur.

By those same teachers, the first grade teacher was the worst. She was a much older lady who, seemingly, despised me for being a JW kid. I was very quiet and only brought notes from my Mom. Mom never, ever showed up to tell the Principal or teachers of what we were to not do. Only notes, which is why they maybe didn't like us.

During holidays and birthdays, I got put in the coatroom or again, the hallway. Just sit there. The coatroom was an area that was about 3 foot deep and had hooks on the wall for coats. Pull down black boards covered the area. At least I could take a nap while everyone else sang and ate cookies and cake.

Overall, I hated school. Until 4th grade. The teachers assistant was really nice to me.

This was during the late 60's and early 70's.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And not being allowed to play with other children at recess? Bad associations, you remember.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I either went to the library, or went home, depending on when the party was, and how long.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    She was into physical punishment, and had a man's voice.

Ah, a dominatrix.

• doublelife
    doublelife

Late 80s/early 90s. There was a 2nd grade jw teacher in my elementary school and that's where my mom arranged for me to go. I'd rather have had the library. Do you know how embarrassing it is to be a 4th, 5th, or 6th grader sitting in a room full of 2nd graders?

• RR
    RR

My kids go to the library ONLY during Holloween, as we don't observe it. I asked my daughter if there was anyone there with her. she said there weere quite a few, and only 2 were Witnesses, the rest were Christians.

RR

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This thread brings back memories of absolute HELL! The teachers in our little town HATED us. They went out of their way to make sure we knew we were scum in their eyes. Throughout grade school my brother Derek and I would be locked in this little room that was saved for the disobedient kids. They always made sure the light was out and we were never allowed a book or anything of the sort. The teachers wanted us to know we were being punished. It seems for a few of those years there was another witness girl with us (the kind that rarely went to meetings, had terrible hygiene, but told everyone she was a JW like me and Derek).

The Jr High years were a little easier, except for the fact that my mother made me wear a dress to school at least once a week. She told me it was because she wanted to make sure everyone knew we were different (as if that fact escaped someone)

High School was much easier because we moved to Denver and I never told anyone I was a JW.

1971-1983 (school years)

Thanks Restrangled for upsetting my stomach

• darnkid
    darnkid

Early 70's, early grade school got to stay home.

Mid 70's went to the library.

Junior high in late 70's just hung out in the class room watched others trade valentines, some would give me one anyway, just wouldn't tell mom & dad nor take it home.

Fortunately in high school no one was into that.

I got SO TIRED of telling kids "we get presents all year round"---NOT!!!

How lame. We were jealous as hell that we didn't get presents!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit