The phrase "The Truth"

by lepermessiah 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

"The Truth" is merely a denomination name to me now. I don't get upset if I slip and use it. Mostly I say Witnesses. I used to get anal about all that vocabulary BS when i was in the Truth. Now I could care less. It's another form of freedom W.Once

• Dagney
    Dagney

I made a very conscious effort when I left to NEVER to use the prase "the truth." About two weeks ago I was having dinner with whoknows and dncall, and did use the term "the truth," and I was quickly corrected to use the term "the lie." LOL. It fits rather nicely in all circumstances so far.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yeah , it is so hard to get it out of your vocab. Using the term Brothers and Sisters too.

• ninja
    ninja

I nipped it in the bud the day I found out it was all pish

• xeracia
    xeracia

I hate it too. My sister still uses it. Which I find rather ironic since she has not attended a meeting in years due to the pedophile issue. If it was "the truth" would pedophiles be walking around amongst clueless people? I keep slipping in little bits of knowledge here and there trying to get her to do some research, like the 1914 thing. Maybe she will stop using the term. I can hope at least.

• the real life
    the real life

This one gets under my skin. It's easy to use the term even long after being out. We don't stop to think about what we're actually saying! I also don't like the term "the friends" - it sounds too culty.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I like this verse, sums up Charles Taze Russell & Co. to a tee

Romans 1:25 (New International Version)

25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

There is one truth according to the bible.

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.

Next time you visit a "kingdom hall" or talk with some JWs, see how much they mention the One who claims to be THE truth.

Blessings,

Stephen

• villabolo
    villabolo

The reason I got disfellowshipped is because I suggested to the elders that the Society should not be using that phrase. Because of that I never had problems with that phrase. I threw it out of my mind a long time ago.

I do find myself saying Jehovah from time to time so I perform the verbal equivalent of what OTWO suggested. Right after saying Jehovah I say "Demon god".

villabolo

• Chalam
    Chalam

Indeed, they have created a false god and they worship all day long the name of "jehovah".

No surprises that that name doesn't appear in the New Testament of any bible save their own New World Translation.

There is one name of importance since Jesus came

Philippians 2:5-10 (New International Version)

5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!
    9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth

Acts 4:10-12 (New International Version)

10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is
    " 'the stone you builders rejected,
    which has become the capstone.' 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Blessings,

Stephen

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

You could quote Jesus to someone claiming to be in the "Truth".

"I am the way, the Truth, and the life."

Then ask them, "are you telling me you are in Jesus, and Jesus is in you?"

That can be a real show stopper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit