The phrase "The Truth"

by lepermessiah 35 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

So, I am curious....

How many of you have a hard time getting that phrase out of your vocabulary?

I have been conscienciously trying not to use it at all, so now when I am in a conversation with a JW, its amazing how often they use that phrase. I look back and wonder "God, did I say that THAT often?"

Even then, I still slip up from time to time.....35 years of indoctrination will do that to you I guess....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Turn it into an exercise with your hands. Everytime you slip and say "the truth" put your hands up and make the quotation marks in the air with two fingers on each hand- even if it's afterward. You will eventually remember that it's not "the truth."

• teel
    teel

I was only 10 years "in the truth" and even when in, I felt some kind of aversion to using that phrase to describe a religion. Not that I didn't believe that it was the actual truth, it just felt so... cult like. I wonder why?

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Once I realized how pompous and arrogant that expresion is, I had no trouble whatsover to drop it completely!

And I tell every jw I encounter exactly how I feel about the expression...

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I think we've all made the mistake in our early days of keep saying "The *****" the strange thing is that it is so unsuited to the WTS who are a living advertisement for "The Lie"

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The JWs' truth can't be the truth because they have made too many changes. What was truth was actually false. So they can't be in the truth or have the truth.

http://144000.110mb.com/144000/index.html#I

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

it annoys me because of its Brainwashing potential. the truth, you know its the truth, come back to the truth.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I haven't really had the opportunity, but I will say to a JW that "I still have the truth."
    They will argue about meeting attendance and serving "Jehovah's Organization." I will stick with "I still have the truth."

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

I always do the air quotation marks when I'm explaining that stupid phrase to people. I hate it! I'm still in contact with a few witnesses my family included, and they are always telling me that I should come back to "the truth" and that I know it's "the truth" ........ You get my meaning. They've been brainwashed into saying and believing that, that they don't think twice about using it. They are sheep!

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

LunaFing, just what I said! its so condescending, and as you say, its said without thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit