Why hang on in there??

by KenUK 26 Replies latest jw friends

• KenUK
    KenUK

Not been posting on this board too long, but started my ex jw internet excursion with the philia group back in 1995 (thanx AlanF:-)).

Not wishing to poke anybody in the eye but I'm curious at those mails I've read where some of you guys are hanging in on there (from where I sit) under the jw tag. By that I mean you've clearly identified you've not attended meetings, have no intention of going to meetings, maybe (albeit under the jw rules)in a d/a or d/f situation, but laying low.

Geniunely interested in why - I got d/f by banging on the elders door (metaphysically speaking) and sitting through a judicial to get out properly.

Maybe 33 years as jw straight off (18 years under Hillary Step formula:-))skewed my thinking, but just curious....

• belbab
    belbab

Ken,

If you read Josephus' account of the destruction of Jerusalem, during the lenghthy siege there was one man who constantly went about and cried, Woe, Woe to Jerusalem. He was constantly caught and beaten and imprisoned, but he never stopped crying out his message. Why did he do it? Why did he not previously heed the message of Jesus to flee to mountains?

Why do some JWs hang on when they see the abominations seated in the holy place? Why do some choose like yourself choose to go out kicking
    and get disfellowshipped? And why do some just fade away quietly?

Each one chooses his own way, and whatever way he chooses he is publishing his message by his actions. Your question shows that you are listening and paying heed to the different messages.

Belbab

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

What do you do, read the first three lines of every post, then go on to the next one?

From what I've been reading, the true-blue JW's are totally undeserving of the tremendous ex-jw relatives they have. Many of us have relatives that we don't want to put through a shunning, or be shunned ourselves.

What's wrong with that?

cult-exiting is an individual decision, and the method is an individual choice. many have taken your course, and for years have regretted it.

The best part about these discussion boards, are people sharing experiences so some of us know what to do and not do...beforehand.

I'm glad things went better for you than some of us. I hope they continue to.

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Belbab,
    Are you saying those who just "fade" are just like the ones that remained in Jerusalem when it was under siege the second time? If it is, could you please expand on your thoughts?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• ISP
    ISP

I'm not DF'd or DA'd and it gives you some credibility with JWs and hence more of a chance of influencing them.

ISP

• KenUK
    KenUK

Belbab,

Thanks - thats what I'm curious about:

Why do some JWs hang on when they see the abominations seated in the holy place? Why do some choose like yourself choose to go out kicking and get disfellowshipped? And why do some just fade away quietly?

Thats what I'm genuinely curious about from this forum (and not in a judgemental way) - I sought to get out as a fairly public demonstration for me. And that was right for me. e.g working with the same work colleagues for many years, not sharing in the usual, birthdays, xmas etc, and being able to say to them that was now behind me and I was no longer a jw. Maybe I needed that closure. To say to them I was an "inactive" witness wasn't a clean cut for me.

(I've quickly skimmed "Works of Josephus for your reference - could be reading the latter part all day! You haven't got a book/chapter ref. handy?)

• KenUK
    KenUK

Dungbeetle,

Thanks for the reply anyway..

Guess what you were saying is you stay in because of your relatives - fine with me - that was only the question I asked.

Didn't understand your opening jibe, don't remember questioning what was wrong with that, and don't recollect saying it had gone well for me.

Other than that think I got your point...

• KenUK
    KenUK

Thanks ISP,

Have you had any "success" in influencing? Do you find jws view you as someone who could be "turned" to come back in or is there an element of suspicion in the ways they deal with you?

• LB
    LB

Ken my main reason for staying low is the same as many people here. I didn't want to disrupt relations from family members I care about. But to be honest, at this point in time I don't care if I get DFed any longer. But I won't make it easy for the bastards. If they want to DF me they are going to have to work for it.

Then they'll get to see how much the society will really back them in a court case.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• KenUK
    KenUK

Thanks LB,

Looks like the "family" angle is a powerful arguement. Because the "only" family member I have who is a jw is my mother then guess the "tentacles" don't spread as far and not an issue when I made my decision.

Also - mebbe its a UK thing - but she keeps in (too much!) regular contact with me. Probably talks more to me now than when I was a jw..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit