Its those damn cows.

• TD
    TD
    A million Arcosantis.

I'd be happy with one.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Dinah: "Its those damn cows."

Don't forget several thousand years of wet rice farming (E.G. China) which produces Methane* emissions in large quantities. Moooo. . .h, Miss Meeeeow.

villabolo

*Methane has 23 times the heat retaining effect as Carbon Dioxide.

• dinah
    dinah

So we cross out rice and beef. Maybe we should all just eat dirt.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Villabolo:A million Arcosantis.

TD: I'd be happy with one.

It's good to see someone that's heard of Arcosanti let alone prefer it over what we now have. However, if there's just one instead of multitudes it will be snuffed out by the surrounding nation states.

villabolo

• villabolo
    villabolo

Dinah: "So we cross out rice and beef. Maybe we should all just eat dirt."

There are other ways of growing food for billions of people that do not pose a hardship on your taste buds.

villabolo

• TD
    TD

Villabolo:

If we're talking about the same Arcosanti (?) it's hard not to be familiar with it, living here in Phoenix. I've visited the project maybe a dozen times over the last thirty years.

My comment was pure pessimism. In 1970, the Bumble Bee/Cordes Junction area seemed far away from anything, but at the rate things are going, Arcosanti will be engulfed in sprawl well before the reality catches up with the dream.

• besty
    besty
    Since they refuse to respond to issues raised, I'll have to spell it out, I'd like to know what the warmies such as Besty think of this.

BTS - why are you posting a YouTube clip after promising to spell it out personally.

Humor me and tell me in your own words <as promised> what the issue is you'd like me to address, and please tell me its something more substantive than the YouTube clip?

perhaps in a simple format like this:

Fifth question : Are you now writing off the entire field of climate science as one big scam?

as yet the above question and the four others I have posed to you, B-Rock etc remain unanswered.

• villabolo
    villabolo

TD:

"If we're talking about the same Arcosanti (?) it's hard not to be familiar with it, living here in Phoenix. I've visited the project maybe a dozen times over the last thirty years.

My comment was pure pessimism. In 1970, the Bumble Bee/Cordes Junction area seemed far away from anything, but at the rate things are going, Arcosanti will be engulfed in sprawl well before the reality catches up with the dream."

I've been to Arcosanti but once and I do realize that it's extremely slow rate of construction is destined to lead it nowhere. But the idea that it represents can inspire others who are better (and faster) at building things than Paolo Soleri. It will probably take a collapse of the United States before alternatives spontaneously come about or fast tracked like Arcosanti.

As for your comment being pure pessimism your saying that you've visited it 12 times in the past 30 years indicates to me that you're a crypto-optimist, otherwise why should you bother?

villabolo

• zagor
    zagor

To put it bluntly to you, as someone who has done a lot of field measurements along with endless calculations, comparisons, regression analysis etc etc. I find this reference to to "communist utopia" quite insulting. But ok let's keep the cool and answer it. The truth is every so often society has similar discussions. Not that long ago that was tobacco and questions were raised about "how scientific" all these findings really were that predicted dire consequences for those who were serious smokers. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly there was a term used even back then about anyone daring to promote an anti-smoking message as being a watermelon - green on the outside, red on the inside. It's funny how history repeat's itself, or at least it would have been unless you dag only an inch deeper and actually found that in both cases there was the same 'think thank' behind the whole charade - George Marshall Institute.
    What you may find interesting is that in any instance such terms are applied or validity of hard science questioned are against those who are costing certain industries money. Like ald adage states 'follow the money' and funnily enough again in last almost three decades money always leads back to George Marshall Institute. Now, do I need to tell you also it has been founded by ExxonMobil or would that be a redundancy in this case?

Oh yeah, almost forgot that, at one time even Esperanto (international language) was the target of the watermelon/communist label...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit