by Perry 372 Replies latest members politics

• B-Rock
    B-Rock

The CRU data set.
    Solar activity.
    Greenland ice cores.
    Scientist opinions.
    Historical observations:

HISTORIC VARIATIONS OF ARCTIC ICE (MUCH MORE AT THE LINK)

THE ARCTIC IS MELTING

“It will without doubt have come to your Lordship’s knowledge that a considerable change of climate, inexplicable at present to us, must have taken place in the Circumpolar Regions, by which the severity of the cold that has for centuries past enclosed the seas in the high northern latitudes in an impenetrable barrier of ice has been during the last two years, greatly abated….

….. this affords ample proof that new sources of warmth have been opened and give us leave to hope that the Arctic Seas may at this time be more accessible than they have been for centuries past, and that discoveries may now be made in them not only interesting to the advancement of science but also to the future intercourse of mankind and the commerce of distant nations.” A request was made for the Royal Society to assemble an expedition to go and investigate.

President of the Royal Society, London, to the Admiralty, 20th November, 1817, Minutes of Council, Volume 8. pp.149-153, Royal Society, London. 20th November, 1817.(from) http://www.john-daly.com/polar/arctic.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------

“Whalers in the North Atlantic in 1815 and 1816 described an unprecedented breaking up of the ice in the Davis Strait, that had apparently sent icebergs as far south as 40°N. The prevailing theory held that seawater could not turn to ice (supported by observations that melted icebergs released fresh water), and therefore that all Arctic ice formed around coastlines. It further held that the waters around the North Pole might therefore be ice-free, forming an Open Polar Sea

If the barriers of ice surrounding this open sea were breaking up, then there might be an opportunity to sail across the top of the North American continent, either by by the proposed Northwest Passage, or perhaps by sailing north past Spitzbergen, across the Polar Sea, and down through the Bering Strait.”
    --------------------------------------------------------
    From Wikipedia;
    “John Barrow, the Second Secretary to the Admiralty encouraged interest in the possible existence of a Northwest Passage.With the support of Sir Joseph Banks, he prepared two simultaneous expeditions, one to be led by John Ross, heading West through the Davis Strait, and the other to be led by David Buchan, taking the polar route. An arrangement of prizes for acheivement both West and North were adopted by an Act of Parliament in 1818. Thus began a series of expeditions that lasted for sixty years.”
    -------------------------------------------------------
    “The uncharted coastline of east Greenland became clear of ice around 1820, and in 1822 Scoresby, in the midst of an arduous whaling voyage, sailed along some 400 miles of this inhospitable landscape, charting it, and naming point as he went in honour of scientific and other friends, chief of which was Scoresby Sound, named for his father. Almost all his place names survive today.”

That Scoresby junior was a man to be believed when he claimed that the arctic was melting can be further seen here in this extract;

“Carrying on with great success the most demanding and arduous of all maritime activities -the hunting and capture of whales – he yet col

• besty
    besty
    B-Rock - if you have no intention of answering any of my 5 questions resulting from your posts then just let me know and I'll drop it.
    First question: Are you implying that the CIA stating there is scientific consensus is the same thing as there actually being scientific consensus?
    Second question: Why have you chosen not to respond to my deconstruction of the Forbes/Washington Post half-truth misquotes?
    Third question: Why the instant ad hominem? You are industrial strength grade A certifiable, buddy and Your dishonesty is boundless, isn't it, besty?
    Fourth question: Why do you keep pasting more 'stuff' without answering my questions?
    Fifth question : Are you now writing off the entire field of climate science as one big scam?
  • villabolo
    villabolo

Robdar, concerning the reduction of any pollution by individuals, there is unfortunately very little that can be done individually in spite of the best efforts of the most environmentally conscientious. Yes there are some who have reduced their "carbon footprint" but it has to be done by orders of magnitude (90%,99%,99.9%) not percentage points (20%,40% etc.), and that requires a change of civilization. We are all tied in into a particular social system that cannot be reformed but rather allowed to collapse on its own and be replaced in its entirety by something better. I'll give you a clue but you'll have to do your own research.

CLUE: A million Arcosantis.

villabolo

• besty
    besty

exactly VB - that's why I focused my answer at an international, national and sub-national level before briefly addressing my personal situation.

it's not the 1st time on this thread my personal details have been asked for - the man and not the message comes to mind.....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Since they refuse to respond to issues raised, I'll have to spell it out, I'd like to know what the warmies such as Besty think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbUVBYIPlI

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks Villabolo and Besty. I appreciate your sharing of suggestions as to what we can do to reduce pollution.

I don't know why the climate is changing; it might be because of previously quoted data, but I am not sure yet. I just know something interesting (and possibly very alarming) is happening. Even if we do not all agree on the data, I think we should all do what we can to preserve our lovely home. I do what I can personally and am open to each and every suggestion others might have.

• villabolo
    villabolo

BTS: Since they refuse to respond to issues raised, I'll have to spell it out, I'd like to know what the warmies such as Besty think of this."

We have responded to your statements to a far higher degree than you have responded to ours. When we ask you to respond to our comments after 3 or more exchanges your hypocritical response is, "I will answer as I see fit."

Why should we see fit to answer your responses when you fail to cooperate?

villabolo

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Breaking News (with blog commentary): http://news.yahoo.com/

AP IMPACT: Science not faked, but not pretty

BY SETH BORENSTEIN, RAPHAEL SATTER and MALCOLM RITTER, Associated Press Writers – Sat Dec 12, 2:31 pm E

LONDON – E-mails stolen from climate scientists show they stonewalled skeptics and discussed hiding data — but the messages don't support claims that the science of global warming was faked, according to an exhaustive review by The Associated Press.

This is significant because it sweeps away any quasi-legitimacy the Global Warming deniers have had in isolating or trumpeting certain doubts that individual scientists may have had.

The 1,073 e-mails examined by the AP show that scientists harbored private doubts, however slight and fleeting, even as they told the world they were certain about climate change. However, the exchanges don't undercut the vast body of evidence showing the world is warming because of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.

True, some of the emails show many of the scientists to be cantankerous, overly political, slightly mysterious, or in some cases, downright childish. Nevertheless, the theory that man-made activities are causing Global Warming remains intact, despite the whining of Conservatives.

In the past three weeks since the e-mails were posted, longtime opponents of mainstream climate science have repeatedly quoted excerpts of about a dozen e-mails. Republican congressmen and former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin have called for either independent investigations, a delay in U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulation of greenhouse gases or outright boycotts of the Copenhagen international climate talks. They cited a "culture of corruption" that the e-mails appeared to show.

That is not what the AP found. There were signs of trying to present the data as convincingly as possible. (bold mine, not the article's)

One of the main emails that the Conservatives have pointed to as evidence of a cover-up involves one scientist discussing a way to circumvent data gathered from studying tree rings. The Deniers have said this is some sort of "smoking gun" that proves definitively that Global Warming is just a hoax and that scientists are lying about their data.

When one looks closer though, the only hoax that's being perpetrated on the American public is the idea that the scientists are actively trying to mislead people. An examination of this so-called "smoking gun" email bears this out.

One e-mail that skeptics have been citing often since the messages were posted online is from Jones. He says: "I've just completed Mike's (Mann) trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (from 1981 onward) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

Jones was referring to tree ring data that indicated temperatures after the 1950s weren't as warm as scientists had determined.

The "trick" that Jones said he was borrowing from Mann was to add the real temperatures, not what the tree rings showed. And the decline he talked of hiding was not in real temperatures, but in the tree ring data which was misleading, Mann explained.

As one can clearly see, it's the tree ring data that is misleading, not the actual temperat

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

As one can clearly see, it's the tree ring data that is misleading, not the actual temperatures that were recorded. This is the point that Jones was trying to get across.

All said, this is very good news I should say.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted, but it really helps to clarify the e-mail controversy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70SlEqX7oY&feature=player_embedded

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit