New "apostate" here! Recent WT study- 'We may ask you to do something that may not understand' (basically- DO IT)

by 20+wastedYRS 49 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

WELCOME !!!!!!

I sympathise with your screen name, in my case it was 58 wasted years ! there are a variety of emotions that affect you as you leave,anger,fear (where shall we go ?), feeling foolish ,as nugget said, and a desire to tell all what you have found out.

Caution is the order of the day, it is a bit like a bereavement, you have to let it take it's course, and you are wise to do so, before making ANY major moves or decisions.

A number on here have regretted bringing about their DF'ing when they could have faded, for example.

So seek advice on here on how to get to where you want to get to, and take things as slowly as you can.

Welcome to FREEDOM !

Love

Wobble

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Great that you're joining us Twenty+ . Thanks for bringing this up - not sure I've heard it before but surprisingly, I'm not shocked.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome 20+!

Blessings,

Stephen

• Phee
    Phee

20+,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm happy you are venting!! It's great to talk things out with people that completely understand your position.

You yell and rant, we'll listen and nod. =)

Glad you 'woke up' and welcome to the board!

-Phee

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

20 +..great post. I too likened the Watchtower ministry teaching to sales pitches..after I left the religion and went to work in a bank they had several meeting that helped train you in sales. (We sold insurance products and bank products) I was amazed that they used the same techniques as the witnesses and I too felt violated! I was used to further the JW campaign..at no cost to them..I was furious.

And Mickey Mouse..I heard the same thing back in the fifties...lol. It sort of reminded me of some silly kids spy movied now that I remember it. Like we had to have a secret code of special password..or special handshake..

And the secret handshake must not take place during prayer...lol
    (As we recently learned the JW's should not really hold hands during prayer)

Again, thanks for the post. Glad you saw "The light"...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I quoted WT articles in my elder resignation letter that discussed "knowing" the faithful and discreet slave and accepting what they say. They beat around that same bush. I never saw anything so direct as you say, but I do remember a DC talk being discussed on this forum that did exactly what you are saying- told the members to be ready to do somethings they might not understand.

I would say it's really nothing new, just a wee bit more direct than in the past. Notice some quotes from http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/faithful-discreet-slave.php:

"All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave" Watchtower 1994 October 1 p.8

"We have the opportunity to show love for our brothers who take the lead in the congregation or in connection with Jehovah's visible organization worldwide. This includes being loyal to "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45-47) Let us face the fact that no matter how much Bible reading we have done, we would never have learned the truth on our own. We would not have discovered the truth regarding Jehovah, his purposes and attributes, the meaning and importance of his name, the Kingdom, Jesus' ransom, the difference between God's organization and Satan's, nor why God has permitted wickedness." Watchtower 1990 December 1 p.19

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind." Watchtower 1967 October 1 p.587

Yes, they have hidden the Governing Body behind the mythical 144,000 but they have always commanded complete obedience.
    I feel bitter and "suckered" like you. It hasn't gone away yet, but it softens some as time goes on. Thanks for sharing your not-so-boring thoughts.

• life is to short
    life is to short

One more thing..(sorry, venting here!) I came to the conclusion (may be wrong) that the whole door to door thing is ENTIRELY a farse... just their way to keep you busy so that you stay in their fold!!! They have published (on limited occasions) that the door to door work doesnt get many converts, yet they PUSH it so much! Their study habits are the same... designed to keep you so busy and bogged down that you couldnt possibly get it all done!! An older "sister" and elder's wife, actually told me that, when I expressed how tough it is to get all the studying and preparing done properly (as they say they want). She said that you cant! That they intentionally give you more than you can handle, to keep you busy!! MORE LIKE "TOILING AND LOADED DOWN!!!" Some kindly "yoke" they have put upon their members!! Maybe thats why they thought it best to remove one of the meetings!! The SHEEP ARE DYING FROM THE HEAVY LOAD, BOSS!!

I could not have said it better. I now realize that everything was done with a purpose to keep us over busy and not allow us to think. It is really sick.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

villabolo,

those comments of mine are from 2005, during a time when I was an active JW with doubts. Needless to say I no longer hold that opinion.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Welcome mate.

I know a family that raised children as JW's although the parents never dedicated. An awfly confusing situation for the kids, in addition to other family problems. As adults, all of these 'kids' have problems, mental or otherwise. It has occured to me that those raised in the organisation don't have the same ability to free themselves easily. There seems to be a lot more hanging on to the notion that it still might be 'the truth'. This obviously leaves people in a bit of a limbo situation.

I'm glad you have chosen to break free. Always take in lots of information about the org and it's history. Remember, information (the truth) is what the WTS would like to hide. They do a good job of it as well. F**k them. Learn & grow.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Basically, it means "if we ask you to drink the poison kool-aid ... don't question it, just do it!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit