New "apostate" here! Recent WT study- 'We may ask you to do something that may not understand' (basically- DO IT)

by 20+wastedYRS 49 Replies latest jw friends

• pat1060
    pat1060

Your not full of crap.I remember it.We will find it...

• whoknows
    whoknows

Welcome to the board. There are many people here who can relate to your story. There are many in different stages of realizing the truth about the Truth, some faded out gradually, some disfellowshipped and some still active. Please enjoy the complete freedom to express your thoughts and ask questions. This be the place!

• pat1060
  • Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The following 4 quotations are from the same study article, June 15, 2008. Perhaps they are what you are referring to:

*** w08 6/15 p. 19 par. 7 Accept Jehovah’s Authority ***
    We accept Jehovah’s authority and obey him even if we do not fully understand the reason for some requirement set out in his Word. This is not credulity; it is trust. It reflects heartfelt confidence that Jehovah knows what is good for us. Our obedience is also an expression of our love, for the apostle John wrote: "This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments." (1 John 5:3) But there is another aspect of our obedience that we should not overlook.

*** w08 6/15 p. 21 par. 13 Accept Jehovah’s Authority ***
    In accepting Jehovah’s authority, we need to guard against an independent spirit. A haughty attitude can cause us to feel that we do not need guidance from anyone. For example, we might resist counsel given by those taking the lead among God’s people. God has established an arrangement by which a faithful and discreet slave class provides spiritual food at the proper time. (Matt. 24:45-47) We should humbly recognize that this is the way Jehovah is caring for his people today.

*** w08 6/15 p. 21 par. 15 Accept Jehovah’s Authority ***
    Spiritual food from the faithful and discreet slave class is disseminated to local congregations by appointed elders. The Bible admonishes us: "Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you." (Heb. 13:17) Does this mean that congregation elders are infallible? Of course not! God sees their imperfections more clearly than any human can. Still, he expects us to be submissive. Cooperating with the elders, even though they are imperfect, gives evidence that we accept Jehovah’s authority.

*** w08 6/15 p. 22 par. 18 Accept Jehovah’s Authority ***
    Yes, make it your aim to resist the world’s spirit of independence and to accept Jehovah’s authority. From time to time, meditate appreciatively on the great privilege you have to serve Jehovah. The fact that you are among God’s people is evidence that he has drawn you by means of his holy spirit. (John 6:44) Never take your standing with God for granted. Strive in all aspects of life to show that you reject an independent spirit and that you accept Jehovah’s authority.

Len Miller

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

I remember that from the DC about 3 years ago, too. It included some other bizarre statements. I remember one to the effect that we should defend the GB in every way. I was like, wouldn't jehovah defend them ?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

You have many similarities to my own story. I joined the JWs young, neither partent a JW. Struggled for years until one day I realized that I had been trusting the organization more than I should have been. I remember typing some things out about how I felt, which I eventually posted to the internet. Reading over what I had read was an amazing thing. I could see how I desperate I was. Here is a clip of that orignial comment posted way back in 2005:

I am still currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses but I have many unanswered questions. Things that have not allways settled with me even from before I became one. The 1914 date, the literal 144,000 that go to heaven, Birthdays, The cross as well as other things never where really confident beliefs that I have held. But I allways overlooked the teachings I felt where shakey because of the truth and how important is was to serve Jehovah. At this point in my life, these as well as many other teachings are things that bring up doubt in me. At the same time I continue to go to all the meetings, make comments on subjects that I do not have doubt with and have a limited share in the preaching work. I have put so much faith in everything the Society teaches the last 9 years that I cannot just walk away, i think that would make me a coward. And what if the witnesses have the truth? I sill haven't completely ruled it out. So many ex witnesses on the internet display such a hatred and anger toward the WTS and some of its members. This does not encourage me to quickly leave the organization.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

1/15/1983 watchtower "Avoid independent thinking, independent thinking is manifested by questioning the counsel of the organization." March 1/2006 .."..keep silent by not raising argumentive questions that could challange the authority of those who teach."

They think for you and you do , no questions asked.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Drew Sagan:

"So many ex witnesses on the internet display such a hatred and anger toward the WTS and some of its members. This does not encourage meto quickly leave the organization."

Hatred is a natural human emotion just like love is. The real issue is not whether you hate or love a certain thing but whether that hate or love is appropriate. Hating the WTS is the most appropriate sentiment towards them in view of their history of psychopathology. I am not stating that their hatred of the WTS should be the reason why you leave that organization for good but, on the other hand, it should not be a stumbling block that keeps you from quickly leaving an organization that is based on hatred and anger. Leave as quick as possible for the sake of your dignity.

Villabolo

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I'm not even going to begin to guess on which WT article it was!!

Hellooooooo!!!!

From,

• flipper
    flipper

20 + WASTED YRS- Welcome to the board friend ! You are among friends and people who have been there, done that - so to speak. I was raised in the witnesses and in it until age 44 - exited 6 years ago, so welcome to freedom of mind and clear thinking . I'm glad you came to see the real truth about the alleged " truth ".

Actually with how you were saying that the WT society leaders are wanting members to do something crazy - they are seeming more cult like everyday. After you read " Crisis of Conscience " I'd like to recommend 2 other books to you to understand cult mind control. Both are written by Steve Hassan - The first is " Combatting Cult Mind Control " and the second is " Releasing the Bonds - Empowering People to Think for Themselves." If you read these you will come to understand what happened to you all these years . It was a huge help to me in reading these books and I really benefitted. I wish you the best ! And look forward to your posts. Take care, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit