Of the sexual abuse survivors you knew. . .

by Lady Lee 51 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've come to the conclusion that NLHC has one agenda and can see nothing or understand nothing except that agenda.

So Thank You to those of you who do understand me and that do understand that sexual abuse survivors are not psychologically damaged beyond repair or hope.

Special thanks to VoidEater who also brings a professional perspective and knows that we don't all fit into the narrow category that NLHC seems to want to put us. By far the majority of us never see the inside of a psych ward

• mouthy
    mouthy

I don't think you are overreacting so much as setting the record straight
    and bringing a much less restrictive point of view to the table

Yes that is about the size of it.

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

You are twisting my words. And it would be very dangerous to continue any discussion with you, and I have no agenda. I merely told you about the suffering of others I have seen, and have not categorised anyone. I would be glad to know if you are registered as a counselor with your state in Ontario. I have never met a person as cutting as you are when someone makes a general statement based on fact.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I agree, I apprecaite Lady Lee taking the time to set the record straight.

I remember when I first began my recovery years ago, i was told by one social worker that survivers could never become counselors themselves because they were just to damaged. Only "un-damaged" people were capable of counseling other survivers.

Now, twenty some years later, I am proud to say that I have known several survivers that went on to become highly successful couneselors. I count Lady Lee among them.

I'm a survivor, and I have achieved a leval of success that i thought I was not capable of. Early on I was told I would not be capable of much because of my "damage", so of course it affected the levels of my goals. Low self-esteem comes with the territory so when a kind and helpful authority figure says something you tend to believe it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

your state in Ontario.

For the sake of accuracy, Ontario is not a "state". It's a province.

W

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

But, I am not saying people cant achieve anything, all I spoke of was the damage caused by abuses, and what I had seen as a professional, and like minmus said, from the, and through the eyes of a nurse, and we see only a cross section of the population, not them all.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I'm a survivor, and I have achieved a leval of success that i thought I was not capable of. Early on I was told I would not be capable of much because of my "damage", so of course it affected the levels of my goals. Low self-esteem comes with the territory so when a kind and helpful authority figure says something you tend to believe it.

It almost seems like a large portion of society is uncomfortable with the idea of people healing completely from sexual trauma. It's as if they need victims to be permanently damaged in order to validate their own views (whatever those may be) about sex. And if I'm guessing, my guess is that the view they so want to preserve is that "sexual experiences define you".

I guess on a gut level I sort of understand that, but how cruel to transfer that (clearly unreasonable) ideology onto victims.

I can't help but think that this societal attitude pre-damages people (often children) who later become victims of sexual assualt/abuse.

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

Its a whole sad story, I wish I never ever got involved with the dubs at all.............we live in a very sad world, and sadly people do suffer at the hands of monsters..if monsters describes them.

I have no idea anymore what the answer is.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have no idea anymore what the answer is.

Yes the world is in a terrible state!!!! I cannot believe it!
    Nobody knows how to heal it. A good suggestion was LOVE
    but it is hard to see love in many places .But we do have it here On occasions

• Simon
    Simon

You are both talking about different groups of people, both groups are self-selecting - that is, there will be bias in the outcomes by virtue of how they came to be in contact with you in the first place, hence the different perceived outcomes.

Getting a random sample of people IS impossible. e.g. Calling people at random? So, you only pick people with phones and places to live ...

Some groups will be more prone to self-destructive outcomes if other factors influence how they end up in that group. It would be wrong to mistake the cause and effect with the factors selecting who is in that group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit