If someone asked you, 'Are you a righteous person'? What would be your answer?

by Esse quam videri 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

in my King James bible in 1 Timothy 5:17 it says 'Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor'

I start the day off feeling fairly righteous but when I say my prayers and go to bed I feel a lot less righteous

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I am 100% righteous before God....because the righteousness of Jesus Christ is imputed to me.

That's my standing.

My state does not always reflect that.

But God still thinks I'm wonderful anyway.

• Caedes
    Caedes

If you can't define the meaning of righteous then it is a meaningless question.

BTW this is a public forum you don't get to dictate who replies.

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Yes 100 %, without the slightest hesitation !

Now that, since exactly one month today, I am 100 % out of the JWs' org. (voluntary withdrawal) I am proud and not afraid at all to say it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    [Those who do not believe in righteousness may leave. Please close the door quietly behind you.]

Alrighty then. I looked it up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

right·eous
    ˈrīCHəs/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      (of a person or conduct) morally right or justifiable; virtuous.
      "he is a good, righteous man, I am sure"
      synonyms:good, virtuous, upright, upstanding, decent; More
    USinformal
    very good; excellent.
    "righteous bread pudding"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So after I looked it up, I determined that "righteous" is not exclusive to religion and believers in God. Who doesn't accept that some kind of pudding isn't that good that it is righteous, or that a person is decent and upright enough for that label?
    I had a feeling your question really led to a Biblical standard of following what each poster believes are God's standards of righteousness, just by your attempt to dismiss people that don't "believe in righteousness."
    While I never had "righteous" bread pudding, I have had "righteous" sexual encounters and "righteous" reactions to alcohol/chemical experiences.
    I have also determined that I have a way better standard of righteousness than the racist, womanizing, rape-approving, killer of the Bible than it's God does.

I am a decent guy. I don't go around deliberately hurting people. I don't kill people and take their virgin daughters as "wives." I give myself a TEN.

• done4good
    done4good

Those who do not believe in righteousness may leave. Please close the door quietly behind you.

Typical judgmental religionist attitude. I stopped reading after that. Quite "righteous"...

d4g

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Are you righteous? It's almost at the same level as morality and spirituality. Words that can mean whatever the individual wants them to mean. Quite useless group of words.They have as many meanings as individuals there are on the planet, but offer a good opportunity to make him/her feel above others without having to prove it. So I guess I will "close the door quietly"
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Are you are a righteous person?

Yes, far more righteous than any of the ancient Hebrews, well maybe not Jesus.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Are you are a righteous person?

Yes, far more righteous than any of the ancient Hebrews, well maybe not Jesus.

• Louise
    Louise
    I would say: YES!
  • Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit