If someone asked you, 'Are you a righteous person'? What would be your answer?

by Esse quam videri 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

What's the standard for 'righteousness' that we should measure against? The deity of the Bible?

Let's see ... A God that condones slavery (I don't), polygamy (I don't), incest (I don't), genocide (I don't), capital punishment for sexual misconduct albeit consensual (I don't), tolerates rape (I don't), is too willing to kill for petty reasons (I don't), considers women as inferiors to men ( I don't)...

Seems to me I don't measure up to the righteousness of 'Yahweh'. My bad.

Eden

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

On a scale of 1-10, how righteous do you feel you are?

I'd have to give myself a 9. My righteousness is only exceeded by my humility, my wisdom, my sense of humor, and my handsomeness.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    I would first ask them to define righteous. There are a lot of downright immoral and bigoted practices being labeled as "righteous" by religious people.
  • never a jw
    never a jw

I am at 10 easily, even though most people who know me would struggle to give me higher than 3.

Those who give themselves less than 10 are lying; they feel they deserve 10, but think some false humility would make them even more righteous.

• stillin
    stillin
    I try to be a good man
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I have not read all that has been said before me .

My answer would be ,

"I would be very happy if my peers thought of me as a righteous person ,I don`t think I`m qualified enough to judge myself as a righteous person".

smiddy

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Never a JW, I wish that were true. I said 5 1/2 because i really do feel more imperfect than most and was being honest. Many people in my life call me an 'angel' and I can't deal with that because it's so inaccurate...they just don't know the other side.

i recently read a quote of lemony snicket: (paraphrased) .....people are like Cobb salads. A chopped up mix of good and bad stuff just trying to sort through their own mess and confusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit