If someone asked you, 'Are you a righteous person'? What would be your answer?

by Esse quam videri 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

What would be your answer? Are you are a righteous person?

On a scale of 1-10, how righteous do you feel you are?

[Those who do not believe in righteousness may leave. Please close the door quietly behind you.]

• a watcher
    a watcher

I would say I'm righteously inclined. I want to get it right.

I would say I'm an 8. There's always room for improvement.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Ugh, maybe 5 1/2. More imperfect than most.
  • Fernando
    Fernando

Fantastic question Esse quam videri.

One that humans struggle with in the absence of a perfect standard of righteousness.

When measured against such a standard we all fall short.

How far?

A lot.

Even when we think we are doing well (Isa 64:6).

I believe that was Jesus' point regarding adultery.

If memory serves me right, he was talking to a friendly audience who thought they might be doing well according to their interpretation of the standard (the Mosaic Law).

Then he pointed out that even looking with a passion meant one fell short of the standard. That probably includes almost everyone on planet earth.

To answer your question though: I believe I am righteous in God's sight. I score 10/10.

How so, given the above (the fact that I fall far short of, and cannot attain the perfect standard of righteousness)?

I have received the "free gift" of imputed righteousness (justification).

At Jesus death, my dysfunction (aka sin) was imputed to him, and his righteousness was imputed to me (2 Corinthians 5:21).

If one marks every occurrence of the word righteous/ness in Paul's letters and summarises, he is talking exactly about this very thing.

The Watchtower of course denies that all men can be declared righteous as a "free gift", and instead need to become and remain a member of, and in good standing with their apostate religious organisation and hierarchy, and somehow earn, work, deserve or pay for an unattainable right standing with God.

To this end they have tampered with scriptures like Romans 5:18 and 1 Timothy 2:4 which is easily established by comparing the NWT with the KIT (both by Watchtower).

• Fernando
    Fernando

I am also one of the holy ones spoken of in scripture. I score 10/10.

Again this clean standing before God is a "free gift" available to any that would accept it as such.

We have a clean standing imputed to us (sanctification).

Once again, at Jesus' death his holiness was imputed to us, and our dysfunction (aka sin) was imputed to him (2 Corinthians 5:21).

This whole thing creates a very level playing field where no one has special merit or authority that can be legitimately used to create a hierarchy or a clergy class.

In fact this astounding aspect of the "Good News" or gospel message totally obliterates all of the Watchtower's favourite idols: a two class clergy/laity system, a powerful hierarchy, a powerful organisation, religion, legalism, moralism and more.

In fact once we accept Jesus as mediator we as ordinary folk get to deal direct - no human middlemen needed ever.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Truth be told if I had to rely on my own merits or works my scores would be dismal and not worth publishing.

The fellow with the thick red file in this video is me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLzYw6ULYw

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    [Those who do not believe in righteousness may leave. Please close the door quietly behind you.]

How rude!

Welcome to a world where free thinkers may engage with you or not - regardless of your childish 'rules'.

Define 'righteous'.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

My opinion of me is meaningless.

Other people's opinions of me - if voiced - only serve to embarrass, regardless!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

This whole thing creates a very level playing field where no one has special merit or authority that can be legitimately used to create a hierarchy or a clergy class.

Fernando doesn't Ephesians 4:11 mention that he gave some as teachers and shepherds suggest a clergy class?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Ucantnome, one supposes the clergy class might rationalise their existence with Eph 4:11.

However we know Jesus espoused servant leadership. Not the type of authoritarian dictator "servant" that exists in the Watchtower.

Therefore a genuine teacher and shepherd appointed not by man but by God would seek to serve rather than control, dominate, direct, or rule above and over.

Seeing as there is "one hope" we are all brothers albeit with different gifts that can be used to serve others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit