I need answers to so MANY questions.....

by Confuzzled 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    The only thing that really even had me considering this was that the simple lifestyle of Bible worship and the traditional role of wmen in the family was very appealing.

Like Jamie said, the JWs don't really do those things. They merely pretend that they do. I know it's easy for people to fall into their trap because on the outside they appear to be deeply devout, Christian people. That's why it's so important to investigate a group before joining it. Thankfully, you are doing that now so you and your daughter will be spared a lot of future heartache.

There are quite a few Christian churches out there that do place an importance on Bible teachings and traditional family. You just have to do your research and look for them in your area. Just make sure that whatever church you choose is teaching the Bible and that they're not another cult. Best wishes & God bless.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome to the Forum, Confuzzled!

You said: He wants to be with a woman who will follow him into this whole heartedly, and every fiber of my being is screaming “NO!”.

Go with your instincts on this because they aren't wrong. I had the exact same reaction at 16. That was 30 years ago. I am thankful every day that I listened to my gut.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

This guy is transparent. If he cared about YOU, he wouldn't care what other people think. There's probably some JW chicky there that makes him want to appear totally single.

I totally agree. If he is not baptized and is a "lapse JW" he has absolutely nothing to lose. He's probably thinking about some JW chicky (or chickies) he had feelings for in the past and wondering what would happen if he got his act together. Or maybe he ran into one of them and they had "connection". Seen it happen dozens of time...he's running game (yep, JW men do it too).

Trust me...don't waste your time.

Wishing you a peaceful journey filled with happiness,

Shop

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

I told him that the whole idea amounted to me going through my entire life knowing the sky is blue, and then having him come along and tell me that no it's not, it's neon pink, with zebra stripes. Or that I've known I've been white my entire life but you come along and tell me I'm really asian. I also told him that every part of me is telling me "No". His response was something along the lines of, "Almost everybody feels that way at first". Then again he suggested I talk to somebody, because "He doesn't have any answers." But then asked me to explain to him how Jesus could be God if he spoke to his father. I told him I didn't have an answer for him, I'm no Bible scolar either, it's a mystery of faith, and he's like, thats your explanation? I said I simply didn't know. We fought again, he hung up on me after I said, how do you as smart as you are, buy into this?

He has no interest in even going to Mass with me because we have female deacons and Chalice ministers and Acolytes (To which I asked him if I was going to hell because I mixed the Precious Blood and Holy Water and lit candles from ages 8-15, me a heathen woman, he says he didn't know!

I feel like I'm arguing with a rock.

• undercover
    undercover
    I feel like I'm arguing with a rock.

Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to have dialogue with a Jehovah's Witness. It doesn't get better.

Until a JW decides for themself that something is amiss, they will continue to defend it and make excuses for it. They will not participate in any kind of inter-faith or investigate other religions (other than to criticize it)

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

Text messages after hang up:

Me: Quit tryin 2court me in2 this, it isnt goin 2work

Him: Im not but I jus really wish u would talk 2some1 who can answer ur ?

Me: M I goin 2get honest answrs

Him: ur info u got off intrnet how u know thos arnt jus rumors

Me: I don know but mayb ill look in2 talkin prof of religion 1st

Him: need talk some1 who lives the faith not some1 thinks they know

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I never told you guys about drunken nights and pre-martial sex, or a bunch of other private but VERY hypocritical activities. He's 10 yrs older then me and has quite a past. I think he's settling down and assessing his life. I failed to mention this has come up before, he goes to meeting for 4-6 weeks with his mother, then falls out of it, then feels guilty and goes back again. I'm actually at fault for this relapse! I made the mistake of telling him after he had a bad day of doing a lot of thankless work for a whole bunch of ungrateful relatives, that I thought the Bible said to be all things to all men, and he liked the verse. He thanked me for inspiring him to pick up the Bible again! Everynight he wants to compare a verse out of his to mine, and although a lot of the verse are nearly identical, his just sounds like poor English to me.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    They will not participate in any kind of inter-faith or investigate other religions (other than to criticize it)

So True and I speak from personal experience.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Me: Quit tryin 2court me in2 this, it isnt goin 2work

Him: Im not but I jus really wish u would talk 2some1 who can answer ur ?

Me: M I goin 2get honest answrs

Him: ur info u got off intrnet how u know thos arnt jus rumors

Me: I don know but mayb ill look in2 talkin prof of religion 1st

Him: need talk some1 who lives the faith not some1 thinks they know

Sounds just like my wife, perhaps you can ask him how is it that these witnesses seem to be able to say things about all of Christendom when they don't attend Christian churches. Sounds like they need to talk to someone who lives the faith and not someone who thinks they know. (I am old fashion and I don't get into texting and that shorthand that is used.)

But wait a minute, aren't you talking to him? Isn't he someone who has LIVED THE FAITH?

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

No he hasn't, but he claims the system of beliefs has brought him a level of peace. He is a police officer (YES! I did point out your not supposed to be! He claims they changed things for cops to get baptized), and his hectic life, doing things in the past he is not proud of, evidently the system brings him peace. He says he loves the peaceful people (but it doesn't seem peaceful at all), and that it has kept him from doing wrong. He does put others before himself, often at a cost to himself personally and finacially. He has one brother who is baptized and I believe his mother is. He wants to throw his life into it. That's why, he claims, he can't answer any questions I ask, because he simply doesn't know.

• greenie
    greenie

Hey Confuzzled,

Like DGP, we are in very similiar situations. I am also protestant, my man is a non-practicing, unbaptised JW that wants to go back. First, I don't know how long you've been with this guy, but I would STRONGLY caution you to TAKE IT SLOW. You need to seriously research and seriously investigate this religion. If you find even one thing wrong with it, you should think twice before becoming part of it. It's not like being an Episcopal or Methodist, marrying a Catholic man, not really believing a core Catholic belief - like that the bread and wine turn into actual body and blood at communion - and saying, eh, I can still be Catholic for this man. Being a JW is giving up A LOT, and in my opinion unnecessarily. Through it, you'll also be hurting your family and your daughter. You need to SERIOUSLY think about this. If you go into the religion, you won't be able to celebrate Christmas with your family, or your daughter's birthday. Forget about Thanksgiving, Halloween, New Year's, Easter, Mother's Day. 4th of July, etc. etc. JWs are told not to have "worldly"friends, so any of your current JW friends would technically be out as soon as you are practicing. In a life or death situation you'd be expected to forgo a blood transfusion. You'd also be expected to deny one for your own daughter. That's right, you would be expected to LET HER DIE. Think of that. Seriously. Think of that. It's not just a religion is the thing, it's a whole CULTURE.

I know a lot of the way he/they talk about things is designed to make you feel guilty or shallow for wanting to celebrate holidays. You aren't. What they are doing isn't normal and natural, and worst of all, it's MAN engineered, not based on God/Jehovah or the bible. Also, as an Episcopal woman you should know how woman are treated in the JW religion. They are not valued (I don't care what it says in the Watchtower, they AREN'T);just today there was a thread about domestic violence being ok if it's only to a certain degree. Women also aren't allowed to pray in front of or deliver sermons to men. SERIOUSLY! In their services, women have to have a conversation on stage with each other in front of the crowd instead of just giving a sermon or a talk to the crowd. What kind of message do you think this will teach your daughter? In your personal life, you're supposed to follow the "headship" rule where whatever the man says goes. What a total load of crap! I'm not saying you will, but your man will be counseled, looked down upon, etc. for not keeping his house in order. It's so arcane!

And I learned all of this in just a few short months, so again, I'm not telling you to run away, I'm just telling you to take it slow. I'm in your position and know that's really not a viable option for those of us not born in and don't know the religion, and being with a nonpracticing JW. We don't know firsthand what it will actually look like. I know with your religious background and learning you probably feel bad when you hear all that "unevenly yoked" business because you were taught to be respectful and loving and accepting of all other religions, but unfortunately, this religion is different. One thing that helps me with this particular guilty thought is to think about how the JWs talk about MY religion. Are they respectful? No. Are they accepting? No. Just think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit