Confirmation on statement made at assembly this past weekend

by koolaid-man 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The WT promotes schisms and divisions constantly: the spiritual minded pioneers vs the slacker publishers; the genuine anointed vs the, what, not genuine anointed; believers vs non believers.

If verified, this idea only solidifies the idea that the spirituality of the average witness is a very fragile thing, if associating with non meeting attenders is harmful.

Not like Jesus at all, who associated with harlots, sinners and tax collectors.

Here is a parable they have not discussed in a long time: 30 fold, 60 fold and 100 fold, the idea that everyone is different and has different circumstances and even different appreciation levels, a phrase I heard in an EMS meeting. The CO nearly gagged to read that from the outline; he was a real hardcore drill sargeant type.

The WT wants everyone to be the same, no variety please.

P

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I doubt I would do it, but...

...if my mother said she had to shun me for not attending meetings regularly, I would ask "What is regular?" "Will you really shun people that miss a handful of meetings every month? What if the elders had to miss some meetings? Who is to decide how many meetings? Was that Jesus' attitude?"

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The WT promotes schisms and divisions constantly: the spiritual minded pioneers vs the slacker publishers; the genuine anointed vs the, what, not genuine anointed; believers vs non believers.

If verified, this idea only solidifies the idea that the spirituality of the average witness is a very fragile thing, if associating with non meeting attenders is harmful.

Not like Jesus at all, who associated with harlots, sinners and tax collectors.

Here is a parable they have not discussed in a long time: 30 fold, 60 fold and 100 fold, the idea that everyone is different and has different circumstances and even different appreciation levels, a phrase I heard in an EMS meeting. The CO nearly gagged to read that from the outline; he was a real hardcore drill sargeant type.

The WT wants everyone to be the same, no variety please.

P

• Awen
    Awen

I recall something like this being said to me and hearing such nonsense from the platform many times. An Elder once approached me and said I would have been a MS long ago if I attended the meetings regularly. I replied that "my life keeps intruding, such as needing to keep a roof over my head and feeding myself so I think YHWH understands. I don't recall anything in the Bible about attending so many meetings would show how faithful you are, but that faith is based upon your works." I was regular in FS and commented on every paragraph in the WT study and put the comments in my own words and looked up alternate scriptures, since any child could parrot what was written and cite what was quoted.

I recall once giving a talk in the Ministry School straight out of the Bible with no WT references. After the talk I was approached by an Elder and asked what my references were. I held up my Bible. He then wanted to know my WT references to which I replied "None". He then emphasized to me that any future talks should include WT references to be acceptable. I replied "So in other words, you are making the Word of God invalid without WT references. You're saying that the Bible cannot be understood without the GB putting their own spin on things?" To which he replied "yes".

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I replied "So in other words, you are making the Word of God invalid without WT references. You're saying that the Bible cannot be understood without the GB putting their own spin on things?" To which he replied "yes".

Another one of those "They said that?!" moments.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Announced from the platform" makes it sound as if after for example a song, someone would enter the platform and say "We have a special announcement to make - you should not ......." etc. Such a thing of course was - and would never be - said at a convention. I guess what happened, is as others here have said, that in a talk or discussion or illustration or interview, it was said by a somewhat over-eager person that one should be a bit careful in associating too much with people not frequently attending the meetings.

• sir82
    sir82

They didn't say anything that strong at my CA a few weeks ago.

• TheSheppard
    TheSheppard

As a side note, during the rehearsals, the C.O. will only review the demonstrations and the interviews. The speaker does not rehearse the talk in front of the C.O. nor the D.O. So yes, sometimes a speaker will say something wild and could be counselled after his talk, but they do have the liberty to come up with their own material based on the outline provided.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    As a side note, during the rehearsals, the C.O. will only review the demonstrations and the interviews. The speaker does not rehearse the talk in front of the C.O. nor the D.O. So yes, sometimes a speaker will say something wild and could be counselled after his talk, but they do have the liberty to come up with their own material based on the outline provided.

Shepperd

I recall 2 specific CA's that I was a part of where the CO did have the elders give their talks in front of him. I can't speak to whether or not it was him, or the borg just wanted it done specifically for those talks. It was represented to me that this was direction from the Society.

Having said that, we all know that many higher up elders can also be occasional loose cannons. It's good to realize that just because you hear it from an Assembly or Convention doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to be published verbatim in an upcoming WT.

However, I personally maintain that the Society uses Assemblies and Conventions to pass down certain "oral" laws that they don't want to see in print. Ironic, because of the big deal they make all the time about the Pharisees doing the same thing, putting their oral law above what was written. Even more ironic, because neither oral or written law from the WT is biblical in the first place.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

How is this in keeping with Jesus' teachings?

I'm just being facituos we all know the dubs dont follow Jesus. But really all of Jesus teachings were about inclusion of those who were looked down on by the pharisee's, but the dubs at the first chance they get shun people for no reason other than the 'mother' BORG told them to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit