Is it worth upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

by nicolaou 82 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm running Vista Home Premium on my Dell Inspiron. Dell custom build to your requirements and I went for 4GB of RAM from the start (almost 2 years ago). I know Vista has been much maligned but honestly, I've had no problems with it. I can upgrade to Windows 7 easily - see here - and for less than £60.

Should I bother? Have any of you guys had your mitts on Windows 7 yet and if so what do you think of it?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have it and love it. I had no end of trouble with Vista being terribly slow and unreliable. I couldn't even restart without having to use debugging mode. With 7, so far all problems seem to be solved.

7 looks similar to Vista but is a bit cleaner and has a few attractive features.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

No need to spend a dime to fix something that's not broken.

Having said that, my experience with Windows 7 has been very positive. Moreover, the trade journals are also giving it a thumbs up.

I've performed two upgrades and they were both painless. Still, you'll want to backup any mission critical data before starting the process.

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I've heard nothing but good reviews on 7. The whole thing is based on customer feedback and they actually listened. What a concept for Microsoft.

Ada

• Priest73
    Priest73

Why not UPGRADE to a Mac instead?

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

definately.

I use both Windows and OS X (macs) daily.

OS X is much better than vista which was slow, buggy and used the outdated start menu/taskbar method to launch and manage windows used in XP, windows 98 and 95 etc. In OS X you have a dockbar which is much better.

However... Windows 7 I would say is much quicker, less buggy and nicer to use than OS X, and 100x better than vista. The new taskbar and aero peek is fantastic (I expect apple to be stealing this soon). Your machine will be much faster and nicer to use with 7 than vista - so yes definately go for it!

As Priest says, maybe consider a Mac, but I think windows 7 is nicer to use than OS X (esp. if you are used to windows) but macs are much nicer looking machines being made of good quality plastics and aluminiums, but are very very expensive compared to most PCs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you are happy with what you got, stay with it until you need upgrading or a new computer. I have XP, and refused to upgrade to Vista because XP was doing its job at least as well. Plus, trying to transfer your programs to work on another platform could mean losing key passwords and file data, and at best is going to be time consuming.

I will upgrade to Windows 7 when I get another computer--I plan a 5 year life expectancy for them, meaning mine is due to be replaced sometime in June or July 2011. Hopefully, that will get the most out of my hard drive, while not allowing things to get too far out of date. Until then, I intend to keep it unless it breaks down before then.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The w7 upgrade adviser won't run on my win2k machine. It's a 2.5 ghz w 2 gig ram and a bunch of hd: 1tb, 500gb, 300gb, 160gb.

S

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

should run fine on that machine, it runs fine on a 1ghz cpu / 1gb ram machine, maybe your graphics card?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I think the adviser is made for xp. Microsoft can't imagine someone STILL running w2k.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit