Is it worth upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

by nicolaou 82 Replies latest jw friends

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

If you have Vista operating right now and its a bit buggy I would upgrade to Win 7, it runs a bit quicker when running programs

and in its general operation.

And if you really want to speed up your system get one of those new Solid State drives by IBM or OCZ and you'll really see things fly,

they are twice as fast as the fastest of platter designed hard drives out there.

Thats what I did and installed Win 7 on it as my primary drive and used my older ones for data storage.

This is the way data will be stored and used in the future, making rotational platter designs obsolete.

Anther added bonus is they are absolutely quiet, put out no heat and you never have to Defrag. the drive.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I heard that solid state drives were not ideal where a lot of rewrites take place.

S

• out4good3
    out4good3

I'm running the best of both worlds.

I'm running on a MAC with Leopard. In addition to that, on the same machine within a VMWare Fusion virtual environment, I can run Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 in seperate windows simultaneously.

Vista is the biggest piece of trash software I've every had to work with in my Networking Career.

I like what I've seen with 7. Nice, slick, and clean.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

There was a problem with stuttering on the first generation drives but that has since been fixed, I've witnessed

no problems with mine so far. Intel, OCZ and Corsair are the leading designers for these products and it shows in test

measurements and analysis .

• TD
    TD
    Why? Are the Vista product keys no longer working for XP?

My humble apologies for misleading anyone. This only worked in a few select situations. (Some VLK and Partner keys) Most owners of Vista Business or Ultimate would need to call Microsoft.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

TD..

My new computer came with Vista built into it..

I have the XP disc I purchased and tried to change change back..

The Vista sysytem would`nt allow it unless I had the Business version of XP..

I also checked with Techies..

They confirm my Version of Vista,will not allow a down grade..

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Finally-Free you have a PM

• TD
    TD
    I have the XP disc I purchased and tried to change change back..

You can't downgrade from within Vista, but if you have an OEM XP disk, with a valid product key, it's no problem at all. Backup all of your data and make sure you have install disks for important software.

Shut the computer down cold. Boot directly from the XP CD. (You might have to adjust the BIOS boot order, but most machines give the optical drives priority by default.)

Either format or delete, repartition and format the Vista partition from the blue XP setup screen; and perform a clean install. This is easy, but the most important thing is to remember that there's no going back from this - Anything important on your hard drive that was not backed will be gone for good.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Great... this is what we call "planned obsolescense"... when a company has to figure out how to sell the same thing over and over again to the same consumers.

I know that this industry has rapid technological advancement, but I'd venture to guess that things aren't always getting better. Case in point: when the newest MS cash-cow works like shit.

It just goes to show that planned obsolescense is built into nealry every layer of the computer and software industry, not because they're always making better products (arguable), but because they need to keep making money and dipshits like us can't do anything about it even if we wanted to.

What would it be like if we had to pay for another set of furniture every 3 years? The old stuff works fine, it does what we want it to, but for some reason, society and business forces everyone to switch over and buy new furniture. It may not work any better (after all, we only use it for a few basic purposes [hint hint]), and it might only be distinguished by a few little things that are different. But we, like the tools we are, continue to fork over the cash to stay up on the changes.

The government sometimes forces technological change in order to meet stipulations of public policy, like health and safety, or environmental considerations... or oftentimes to satisfy lobbyists. In this case, we have a company (MS) that runs one of the most blatant monopolies in the history of business forcing technological change, not because anything is really any better, but because they need to make money. The fact that the old product (Vista) was a pile of shit only adds further (planned) impetus to shift over to the new product.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

And if you really want to speed up your system get one of those new Solid State drives by IBM or OCZ and you'll really see things fly,

I used a solid state drive in my garage PC, and there's a noticeable slowdown. Also, the OS I installed on it is optimized for solid state drives to minimize writes. The only thing it writes to the drive is a backup .tar file upon shutdown. Everything else is done in RAM.

Windows on solid state? That's like using a lawn mower to harvest your garden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit