Is it worth upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

by nicolaou 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    it pays to back-up absolutely everything before the upgrade as you can lose stuff

You can always lose stuff and the older the machine the more likely - it pays to back up everything, period!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This is where a Blu-ray burner comes in handy, I have one installed in my Desk Top system, they can be

bought for less than $100.

A single DL- Blu ray disk can hold 50g. of data. or you can burn regular CD's or DVD's as an option as well.

• Simon
    Simon

Cloud backup is the way to go - unlimited capacity and it's stored in multiple secure remote locations.

The problem with any local backup is it's still local ... even though you have solved the "single point of failure" of the content being on one disk only, if anything terrible happens there is a chance you lose all material that is all together.

Obviously it depends on what you're storing - if it's just cat videos you found online it's less important than irreplaceable pictures of your kids. Remember too you don't have to backup everything ... Windows and apps can be re-installed, it's mostly data that matters. Just switching to cloud-based services like Google Drive will give you a huge measure of protection while still letting you work locally (it syncs changes in the background). Also helps if you're on a low storage device.

I think windows 8 & 8.1 was a step backward from Window 7 and had some insane design choices. Windows 10 is back on track and a worthwhile upgrade, probably an inevitability longer term so may as well bite the bullet while it's free.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good to point that out Simon, had forgotten about those cloud storage sites.

Certainly makes it easy for people to store their valuable data.

As you mention Google drive is one the best per cost.

No arduous task of installing a data burner, which can be time consuming, difficult and expensive

Info on Google Drive.......

On March 13, 2014, the storage plans were revised again and prices were drastically reduced (by 80%) to just $1.99 per month for 100 GB or $9.99 for 1 TB. This was much cheaper than competitors Dropbox and OneDrive offered at that time. The 25 GB and 200 GB plans were discontinued and the 2 TB, 4 TB, 8 TB and 16 TB plans were replaced with 10 TB, 20 TB and 30 TB. Users were automatically upgraded to the new pricing scheme.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Dude Windows Vista is the worst (and thats saying a lot) Microsoft products every. It made more people turn to Apple than anything ever. Yes Upgrade - but better yet go to Apple.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Windows Vista is the worst . .

But it's never let me down in eight years!

I am actually going to buy some new hardware anyway as I have one project I want to seriously commit to and need to feel secure moving forward.

I don't need much in the way of power, specs' or features but I do want a machine that is quiet and an OS that I can rely on for the next five years or so.

Advice always appreciated . . .

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

The upgrade to w10 is pretty easy and painless and nothing gets lost, i put it off for months and months because i just couldnt face losing lots of passwords for sites etc, but was reassured by others that wasnt going to happen so took the plunge.

I did my laptop 1st and if that went ok i'd do the big rig, it went smooth on the laptop apart from having to manually get the synaptic trackpad drivers so i had my easy scrolling back again, so i upgraded my dual xeon beast after that, easy painless all my stuff is where i left it.

Vista was pants tbh, compared to XP it was stodgy bloatware, w7 was such an improvement.

• TD
    TD

Dude Windows Vista is the worst (and thats saying a lot)

Win M-E was actually the worst. :-)

The annoyances with Vista were legion, but the kernal was pretty stable.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm holding on to Win 7 for now after reviewing both Win 8 and Win 10 , Win 7 still looks better appearance wise with Aero in my opinion but most likely will upgrade to Win 10 sometime next year.

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't need much in the way of power, specs' or features but I do want a machine that is quiet and an OS that I can rely on for the next five years or so. Advice always appreciated . . .

While Windows 10 is an improvement, I've mostly lost faith with Windows and Microsoft. We last month looked at the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 as a graduation present for our eldest going to Uni ... so now a single vendor doing the hardware and software. Tried it in the shop and the pen input was just not good enough and I've since read about masses of problems people have been having - screen flickering, doesn't go into power save properly (lasts 3 hours in sleep mode).

Once again, support is telling people to run command line scripts and edit registry settings etc... I'm bored of all that, I just want to buy something that is reliable and works. It's not just MS - I tried a Dell laptop about 18 months ago and it was an utter nightmare and I ended up returning it. They seem too keep to rush things out and not do enough testing.

If you want something reliable, get a Mac. We ended up getting a 13" Macbook Pro for our eldest and it's been great, he loves it. I've got a 15" Pro for development and have had no problems whatsoever. Great hardware, great software, everything is reliable and nice to use. You can still dip into Windows with Parallels if there is something you need to run but I am doing that less and less. You can get regular MS Office and stuff now too (that's one thing the Apple equivalents don't match - Excel is hard to beat).

If you don't need something so powerful and want something more lightweight then the Macbook looks nice but we didn't like the short-travel keyboard (a personal preference). There may be a new MacBook with Skylake processors coming out soon - even if you don't need more power, there maybe battery life improvements and weight options to consider.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit