Is it worth upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

by nicolaou 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

VLC is the best media player app and will play just about everything. You can use it for streaming and can even multicast from it if you wish as it's got full network config options. Used to play a DVD and stream it to various PC and even over the web (with some amount of monkeying around) Not sure about the TV guide service though. But its open source and free

• cofty
    cofty
    Thanks for all the useful answers
  • Simon
    Simon
    what software would I use to watch TV if there is no Media Centre for TV guide and play, pause, record etc?

Quite a few network storage devices now have media-serving ability built in (maybe why they dropped media server). I haven't explored them personally but have been thinking about getting one. There's also standalone apps for both Mac and Windows that can be run - again, they do what media center did.

I'm just hesitant about starting on a whole new learning curve

It can be a scary thought but it's not that bad - there are a few differences between the two but you pick them up quickly. Most ideas have converged apart from a few approaches (e.g. whether apps have menu's on their window or at the top of the screen). Other than that - apps, windows, mouse, keyboard ...

Apple Stores also do regular "how to" sessions to get people familiar and up and running. I can't attend because I start laughing because they sound like a cult and I refuse to call anyone with skinny jeans and a bad hair-cut "a genius" but it may be worth checking out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit