New Light on Prayer in NOV 15 WT Study Edition

by lepermessiah 56 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

No the WTS said that their members can't hold hands during the prayer at the meetings/assemblies/conventions.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Paragraph 19

For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands

Its typical WT speak - sure, they didnt say you cant, but they say that you could offend some. Which basically means someone will find offense with it so now it will become a new set of rules. People can find offense over anything and everthing.

Then, they tell you when its OK - "some" marriage mates.

Ok, what about sons and daughters with mom and dad, what about an engaged couple about to be married?

Furthermore, what is wrong with a loving embrace during prayer? In 10 years as an elder, i NEVER heard anyone complain of a couple in a modest embrace. In fact, some studies found that to be appealing to them - the sense of family and prayer.

Thanks WT for taking something so minute and taking all of the joy out of it.

Talk about straining out the gnat and gulping down the camel - arent there other issues more pressing they could address?

I pray to God through Jesus Christ - he told us in the bible what we need to do when praying. The only thing he counseled against was making a big show when praying in public. I dont need another set of Pharasaical rules to go along with it now.

To quote R Kelly, I dont see nothin' wrong with a little bump n grind (sarcasm,sarcasm)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Alright, once OnTheWayOut speaks, the matter will be clear.

Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah.

This is written in such a non-commital way so the elders can decide how to apply it, the members can think it means one thing, the WTS can say "We never said you cannot hold hands during the prayer."

The sentences are written in such a way that some will read that "discreetly hold[ing] hands" is possibly a stumbling embrace. Others will read this to say that holding hands is okay if it is so discreet that nobody notices, but embracing during prayer is a terrible stumbling block. They might assume that embracing is putting your arm around your mate at the waist or shoulders. Still others will say that the point of going to the extreme of not even holding hands is not because it is wrong, but because the WTS wrote that we need to totally focus on "reverence for Jehovah" or just not stumbling people.

So, the article says everything you want it to say.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

yes a group holding hands....and yes a marriage mate embracing. It says discreetly holding hands not "CANNOT hold hands". Thats the point i was making, they arent saying we cant :)

• IronHill
    IronHill

they never will say you "cant". It's all suggestive...a hint for everyone to get the point.

I remember an elder once telling me that when the "slave" makes a suggestion, it's a rule.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

Ive always said to elders I dont respond to hints, if Im told something directly then i'll do it but hints are rude and not always to the point so the person concerned maynot even understand. Im still always going to hold my husbands hand during prayer.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

It says discreetly holding hands

So, what does discreet mean?

OTWO is right - that is so vague and non-commital that each elder may intrepret it and apply it as he pleases.

To me, from years as an elder - discreet in WT speak means "dont advertise it" or "hide it" "dont draw attention", etc.....

So, if I am holding hands with my wife, and we swing back and forth slightly, is that "discreet"?

Im just asking............where does this lead to???

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

AE, if you don't like hints you better get used to it- the WT mags are full of them...where you need to read between the lines...

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

also with regards to stumbling, well that means that others in rhe cong shouldnt disagree that ones of the opposite sex shouldnt be in a house together alone, because i think thats ok, i trust people, but when someone says they cant for fear of what people may think well that stumbles me!! So if its one stumbling rule for one then ALL apply

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

I dont get hints...sorry I never read into things. Direct and to the point, hinting is a waste of time, something I dont appreciate and dont have time for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit