Rehab has been very interesting, but ended nightmarishly....

by oompa 57 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

Hi guys...oompa here. Was i in rehab for alcohol addiction or jwd addiction!?!?!......no computers or cellphones allowed so i have been awol awhile....

ya, i finally made my self sick enough on booze to realize i was really sick and tired of being sick and tired....so checked myself into rehab without any planning at all and while wife was out of town on a family retreat...It was a a very desperate moment in my life, and i was extremely physically and emotionally sick....i was so desperate i took zero time to reseach where to go, but called an old school friend who said rehab had saved his life and he made the calls and actually took me and helped me check in to the place he went to 5 years ago

while the facility is ranked near the very top in its field, little did i know it was strictly a 12 step only rehab facility....which means not only is every other word out of their mouth "god" and "higher power".....they are also the backbone of their attempt at recovery and continued sobriety...

it was very interesting to find that many of the counselors there used the word "cult" to describe their inital opinion of AA and the very treatment program i was in..........so needless to say my "cult" alarms were going off non-stop the first week....and only through keeping a very open mind was i able to silence it enough to take out of the program what i was able to.....this was by deciding G.O.D. would stand for Good Orderly Dirction.....which was to be found in the program and the fellow addicts who were a source of positive reinforcement for me, and the directions/instructions i was receiving were certainly better than my former self-medication program!

then, with only a day or two left in my 28 day program where i had bared my soul....THEY DISFELLOWSHIPPED ME!!!!!...........ya...thats right....even though knowing i was extremely sad and depressed each day, and often wished i was dead....and that since third grade i felt like i had never fit in anywhere unless i was wearing a mask of some sort........they decided that unless i agreed to sign up for another month of Intensive Out Patient therapy (at their place of course....and time consuming and costly)....then i would be immediately discharged. (talk about bait and swith and lack of full disclosure!!!....ya, i may sue their ass as their web site is totally full of false advertising i now see)

so just when i was about to be part of a nice little club that i would have have been a huge advocate of...........the ugliness of a non-profit org. pretending to truly care about my physical, mental, and emotional well being reared its hyprocrital head...and it turned out to be just another business looking out for itself........(and although i still see value in AA/NA...for many reasons i was unable to commit to their outpatient program in the instant they demanded me too)

I am dumbfounded as are the many friends i left there...and the community i left is still in shock....rather than go hit the booze, i decided to attend the same friday night AA meeting we all went to each week while in treatment......i made some really nice non-judgemental friends the past 25 days that will be lasting friends....and that is a good thing.............and i learned a lot about addictions and myself.....and that is a good thing.....oompa is even doing a Daily Gratitude List which helps me focus on even tiny good things in my life as a means to stop my negative thinking and self pity....

my sobriety date is currently 9-15-09..........oompa

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

BRAVO!

Happy to hear that you have begun this. What you did was brave and courageous. I wish you much peace for this. :)

• chicken little
    chicken little

Welcome back Oompa,

You took a very difficult step to go to the re-hab. That still stands as a great accomplishment in itself. Many of these help institutions are desperate for cash and that may push them to oversell themselves. Very hurtful and unkind to use these methods on people that are so vunerable. Write a formal complaint to there head office.

Keep up the hard work and your AA attendance, we exjws are very sensitive to the "religious" imput in the meetings, but I would be like you and re-define the words to suit the way my beliefs stand.

Well done old chap, keep working hard. Don't give up, life is good at its core....you can live your life without the booze and enjoy it even more.

Hugs

Chicken little

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome back, oompa:

It sounds like a mixed blessing for you. It's too bad about the lack of disclosure and its negative results for you. Al-Anon was helpful to me as I have many alcoholic and dry-alcoholic JW and ex-JW friends. While professional assistance has been helpful for some of us, I find the continual support that we find here and among trusted friends in the physical world is what helps me hang on.

All the best as you recover.

CoCo

• chickpea
    chickpea

well, lets make our own club then!!!!!
    that other lot can suck canal water....

i am in LOVE with my sobriety and i will
    cheer you on with yours without a contract
    or a down payment!!!!

(((((oompa)))))))

you da man!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

wecome back

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

3-14-08. Haven't had a drink since. I can't stand AA either, although staying sober does seem to involve recognizing a responsibility to something larger than yourself.

Good luck!

• leavingwt
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Good of you to go for rehab. Good of you to recognize and reject their hook, at the end. Bastards. You can always keep what works for you.

S

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Good job on staying sober .

I agree with chicken little that you should file a formal complaint. The bait and switch tactic that they used misrepresents the God they claim to rely on and most importantly, could be detrimental to someone's recovery. Thank goodness you were strong enough to overcome the bad treatment you received.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit