Need to make my home worth less. Any tips?

by wouldacouldashoulda 46 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Your post disgusts me. What an idiot you must be....your wife is way ahead of the game based on the question... "Need to make my home worth less. any tips?" Hope there are no kids in the mix.

YA Damn fool, grow up.

r

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I like the shrimp idea... put a sack of shrimp in an AC vent. Make sure it's nice and ripe when the appraiser arrives.

A prenup is a magical thing!

• wouldacouldashoulda
    wouldacouldashoulda

Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -Robbin Williams

• wouldacouldashoulda
    wouldacouldashoulda

Restrangled

I love you too.

w

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think I can understand where our friend is coming from. The value of his house is UNREALIZED until the house is sold. In property settlements such as the kind he's looking at, he will be expected to produce 50% of the value of the home and give it to his former wife. Where is that money supposed to come from? Maybe he has value socked away in a 401K that he can borrow from, then pay himself back. That way he gets to keep his roof over his head.

Perhaps you can arrange for the transfer of value contingent on the sale of the house. Of course, he'll then be obligated to sell the house, and if he gets a low price, he'll need to remember that half of that LOW PRICE is his. Whatever he has to give her, consider it the price of your freedom. She will have no claim on his future successes, and her future failures will be entirely hers.

If he had no fire insurance (which would be really dumb) and a fire broke out, he'd be pretty much up the creek, and I guess she'd be up the creek too. After being convicted of arson, he'd have a roof over his head -- at a correctional institiute with all the jollyness that is implied by that situation.

Get a family of raccoons to move into the attic and basement. They'll destroy the house in short order, and it will stink to high heaven. Especially if he makes sure the raccoons have lots of fish to eat. Raccoons often carry the deadly raccoon roundworm parasite*, and their poop would attract hoardes of flies. It'd be like the eleventh plague on Egypt!

*The parasitic nematode lives harmlessly in the brains of about 50 percent of raccoons and perhaps as many as 75 percent in some other parts of the country. The worm can pass into people who touch raccoon feces and then touch their mouth or food. The nematode has to be introduced into the intestinal tract (swallowed) so it can hatch. Children are susceptible because they play on the ground and often put their hands in their mouth. Inside the body, the parasite migrates to the brain, inciting an immune response. The neurotoxin the human body produces to kill the worm also destroys the white matter of the brain. When they travel to the brain, that's when devastation (blindness, siezures, insanity) and death occur.

Bottom line: sometimes it really is best to just take the hit, get up, and move on.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Woulda....

Restrangled

I love you too.

Good, now listen up. Realestate values are so down at this point no need to add to the problem. Smells, dirt, etc., will not detract from the base value of a home in this economy. Most homes on the market are stinking of any number of things, dead animals, no air conditioning, pet waste, removed appliances, dead lawns, green pools.....etc. etc. At this point its based on square footage, and neighboring sales. You might want to get the most from your dollar, sell quickly and start over.

What goes around comes around...don't try to cheat the ex or yourself.

Take care and good luck.

r.

• Farkel
    Farkel

When it comes to doing dumb things in a divorce, I'm at the head of the list. My soon-to-be ex-wife wanted the house, and we had four children still living at home. I told her the house payment alone was more than she had ever made per month in her life. She swore to me she would work two or even three jobs to make the payments.

My attorney said I was an idiot and that we'd all be better of if we sold it and split the profit. I wanted her to keep it "for the children." So I literally gave her the house and got nothing in return for doing that. Not even a "thank you" from her.

She was able to make one payment. Three months later it was in default and she had to price it to sell quickly. She only netted $10,000 and the house had $75,000 in equity had it not been sold out of desperation.

My attorney was right. I was an idiot, and our children were no better off for me letting their mother keep that house.

Farkel

• cantleave
    cantleave

Install rows of uncomfortable chairs, a carpet that doesn't match the chairs in anyway. Build a platform at one end surrounded by curtains that neither match the chairs or the carpets. Put a rostrum and a microphone and stand on the platform. Decorate the wall with a vinyl postaer quating a scripture and hold regular brain washing sessions.

• Scully
    Scully

Build a shrine to Satan in your basement.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

It is against the law to do this bud. In fact the people who do home appraisals LOOK FOR stuff like this! My neighbor across the street was trying to screw HIS wife out of equity in their home and followed the appraiser around the house pointing out stuff WRONG with it. He did in fact write down every effort he made to devalue the house in his report and it was submitted to the judge...just like that. She was awarded another 10,000 on her side of the sheet for possible deliberate destruction of the marital property. In fact no devaluing can be done to the property for a LONG TIME before the divorce happens. So be very careful. Same thing is also true of quitting your job in order to pay LESS support. They look at your income and your ability to earn for a period of at least THREE YEARS prior to the filing date.

IMHO it sucks you are trying to do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit